Public Finance and The Size of Government: A Literature Review and Econometric Results for Fiji
This paper analyses current government expenditure in Fiji using annual time series data for the period 1969-1999. Alternative theories of government expenditure are reviewed and a distinction is made between economic/apolitical determinants and institutional/political determinants. Categorising the literature in this way suggests the application of non-nested tests in empirical work. The first step is to estimate the two models separately. All four test statistics for non-nested hypotheses lead to the conclusion of double rejection. A parsimonious comprehensive model, encompassing both economic and institutional variables, is preferred as it passes all diagnostic tests and involves the acceptance conclusion from pairwise non-nested tests.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1987.
"Equilibrium Political Budget Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McAleer, Michael & McKenzie, C R, 1991.
"Keynesian and New Classical Models of Unemployment Revisited,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 359-81, May.
- Mcaleer, M. & Mckenzie, C.R., 1990. "Keynesian And New Classical Models Of Unemployment Revisited," Papers 9006, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- McAleer, M. & McKenzie, C.R., 1990. "Keynesian and new classical models of unemployment revisited," Discussion Paper 1990-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Buchanan, James M. & Wagner, Richard E., 1978. "Dialogues concerning fiscal religion," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 627-636, August.
- Fisher, Gordon R. & McAleer, Michael, 1981.
"Alternative procedures and associated tests of significance for non-nested hypotheses,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 103-119, May.
- Gordon Fisher & Michael McAleer, 1981. "Alternative Procedures and Associated Tests of Significance for Non-Nested Hypotheses," Working Papers 420, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M H, 1982. "A Critique of the Proposed Tests of the Natural Rate-Rational Expectations Hypothesis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 529-54, September.
- Pesaran, M Hashem, 1988. "On the Policy Ineffectiveness Proposition and a Keynesian Alternative: A Rejoinder," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 504-08, June.
- McAleer, Michael & Fisher, Gordon & Volker, Paul, 1982.
"Separate Misspecified Regressions and the U.S. Long-Run Demand for Money Function,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 572-83, November.
- Mcaleer, M. & Fisher, G. & Volker, P., 1982. "Separate Misspecified Regressions and the U.S. Long Run Demand for Money Function," Cahiers de recherche 8217, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Borcherding, Thomas E & Deacon, Robert T, 1972. "The Demand for the Services of Non-Federal Governments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 891-901, December.
- Gemmell, Norman, 1990. "Wagner's Law, Relative Prices and the Size of the Public Sector," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(4), pages 361-77, December.
- Deacon, Robert T, 1978. "A Demand Model for the Local Public Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 184-92, May.
- Niskanen, William A., 1978. "Deficits, government spending, and inflation : What is the evidence?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 591-602, August.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, March.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521233293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marlow, Michael L & Orzechowski, William, 1996. " Public Sector Unions and Public Spending," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 89(1-2), pages 1-16, October.
- Michael McAleer & Gordon Fisher, 1981. "Separate Misspecified Regressions," Working Papers 424, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Goodman, Robert P, 1973. "Private Demands for Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 280-96, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521027922 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rush, Mark & Waldo, Douglas, 1988. "On the Policy Ineffectiveness Proposition and a Keynesian Alternative," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 498-503, June.
- Pesaran, M H & Deaton, Angus S, 1978. "Testing Non-Nested Nonlinear Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 677-94, May.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1975. "The Political Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 169-90, April.
- Deaton, Angus S, 1978. "Specification and Testing in Applied Demand Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 524-36, September.
- Bird, Richard M, 1971. "Wagner's o Law' of Expanding State Activity," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 26(1), pages 1-26.
- Gonzalez, R A & Means, T S & Mehay, S L, 1993. " Empirical Tests of the Samuelsonian Publicness Parameter: Has the Right Hypothesis Been Tested?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 77(3), pages 523-34, November.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521894753 is not listed on IDEAS
- Turnbull, Geoffrey K & Djoundourian, Salpie S, 1994. " The Median Voter Hypothesis: Evidence from General Purpose Local Governments," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 81(3-4), pages 223-40, December.
- Borcherding, Thomas E., 1985. "The causes of government expenditure growth: A survey of the U.S. evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 359-382, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.