Estimation of Bid Functions for Location Choice and Price Modeling with a Latent Variable Approach
A new approach for the estimation of bid-rent functions for residential location choice is proposed. The method is based on the bid-auction approach and considers that the expected maximum bid of the auction is a latent variable that can be related to observed price indicators through a measurement equation. The method has the advantage of allowing for the estimation of the parameters of the bid function that explain the heterogeneous preferences of households for location while simultaneously adjusting the expected maximum bid to reproduce realistic values. The model is applied and validated for a case study on the city of Brussels. Results show that the proposed model outperforms other methods for bid-rent estimation, both in terms of real estate prices and spatial distribution of agents, especially when detailed data describing the real estate goods and their prices is not available. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11067/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- W.A.V. Clark & Jun L. Onaka, 1983. "Life Cycle and Housing Adjustment as Explanations of Residential Mobility," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 20(1), pages 47-57, February.
- Ellickson, Bryan, 1981. "An alternative test of the hedonic theory of housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 56-79, January.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Walker, Joan & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2002. "Generalized random utility model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 303-343, July.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1997. "Multiple Regime Bid-Rent Function Estimation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 301-319, March.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Bayer, Patrick & Timmins, Christopher, 2005. "On the equilibrium properties of locational sorting models," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 462-477, May.
- Gross, David J., 1988. "Estimating willingness to pay for housing characteristics: An application of the Ellickson bid-rent model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 95-112, July.
- Gross, David J. & Sirmans, C. F. & Benjamin, John D., 1990. "An empirical evaluation of the probabilistic bid-rent model : The case of homogenous households," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 103-110, June.
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1991.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396455, December.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007.
"A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods,"
07-27, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 588-638, 08.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," NBER Working Papers 13236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Guo, Jessica Y., 2007. "A comprehensive analysis of built environment characteristics on household residential choice and auto ownership levels," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 506-526, June.
- repec:cai:poeine:pope_303_0323 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gin, Alan & Sonstelie, Jon, 1992. "The streetcar and residential location in nineteenth century Philadelphia," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 92-107, July.
- Chattopadhyay, Sudip, 1998. "An Empirical Investigation into the Performance of Ellickson's Random Bidding Model, with an Application to Air Quality Valuation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 292-314, March.
- Glaeser, Edward L., 2008. "Cities, Agglomeration, and Spatial Equilibrium," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290444, December.
- W.A.V. Clark & M.C. Deurloo & F.M. Dieleman, 1997. "Entry to Home-ownership in Germany: Some Comparisons with the United States," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 34(1), pages 7-19, January.
- Epple, Dennis, 1987. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Estimating Demand and Supply Functions for Differentiated Products," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Lerman, Steven R. & Kern, Clifford R., 1983. "Hedonic theory, bid rents, and willingness-to-pay: Some extensions of Ellickson's results," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 358-363, May.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 355-372.
- Muto, Sachio, 2006. "Estimation of the bid rent function with the usage decision model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 33-49, July.
- Gabriel, Stuart A & Rosenthal, Stuart S, 1989. "Household Location and Race: Estimates of Multinomial Logit Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 240-49, May.
- Joan Walker & Jieping Li, 2007. "Latent lifestyle preferences and household location decisions," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 77-101, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:14:y:2014:i:1:p:47-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.