In Search of Stylized Facts on Art Market Prices: Evidence from the Secondary Market for Prints and Drawings in Italy
In the paper we develop some price indices for the secondary market forprints and drawings in Italy for the period 1977–1999. Theempirical evidence suggests the emergence of causal links from thepainting series and consumer price series to the print and drawingsprice series. Within the secondary market, the drawings price seriesprecedes the print price series. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesando, James E, 1993. "Art as an Investment: The Market for Modern Prints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1075-89, December.
- L. Picci & A. E. Scorcu, 1999. "Price Dynamics in sequential auctions. New evidence using art auction data," Working Papers 352, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varlet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996.
"The relevance of hedonic price indices: the case of paintings,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1715, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chanel, O. & Gerard, L.A. & Ginsburgh, V., 1992. "The Relevence of Hedonic Price Indices the Case of Paintings," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a19, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Unnatural Value: Or Art Investment as Floating Crap Game," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 10-14, May.
- Anderson, Robert C, 1974. "Paintings as an Investment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(1), pages 13-26, March.
- Czujack, Corinna & Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão & Ginsburgh, Victor, 1995.
"On long-run price comovements between paintings and prints,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
269, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- CZUJACK, C. & FLÔRES, R. & GINSBURGH, Jr. and V., . "On long-run price comovements between paintings and prints," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1240, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., .
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- G. Candela & A. Scorcu, 1997. "A Price Index for Art Market Auctions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 175-196, September.
- Clive, W.J. & Lin, Jin-Lung, 1995. "Causality in the Long Run," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 530-536, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:25:y:2001:i:3:p:219-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.