How Ethical are Managers’ Goodwill Impairment Decisions in Spanish-Listed Firms?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Alan Richardson & Burkard Eberlein, 2011. "Legitimating Transnational Standard-Setting: The Case of the International Accounting Standards Board," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 98(2), pages 217-245, January.
- Thomas Frecka, 2008. "Ethical Issues in Financial Reporting: Is Intentional Structuring of Lease Contracts to Avoid Capitalization Unethical?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 45-59, June.
- B. Gill de Albornoz & Jose Alcarria, 2003. "Analysis and diagnosis of income smoothing in Spain," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 443-463.
- Keryn Chalmers & Greg Clinch & Jayne M. Godfrey, 2008. "Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards: Impact on the Value Relevance of Intangible Assets," Australian Accounting Review, CPA Australia, vol. 18(3), pages 237-247, September.
- Lapointe-Antunes, Pascale & Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2009. "Value relevance and timeliness of transitional goodwill-impairment losses: Evidence from Canada," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 56-78, March.
- Ramanna, Karthik, 2008. "The implications of unverifiable fair-value accounting: Evidence from the political economy of goodwill accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 253-281, August.
- Hoje Jo & Yongtae Kim, 2008. "Ethics and Disclosure: A Study of the Financial Performance of Firms in the Seasoned Equity Offerings Market," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 80(4), pages 855-878, July.
- Jayne M. Godfrey & Ping-Sheng Koh, 2009. "Goodwill impairment as a reflection of investment opportunities," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(1), pages 117-140.
- Mattias Hamberg & Mari Paananen & Jiri Novak, 2011. "The Adoption of IFRS 3: The Effects of Managerial Discretion and Stock Market Reactions," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 263-288.
- Réal Labelle & Rim Gargouri & Claude Francoeur, 2010. "Erratum to: Ethics, Diversity Management, and Financial Reporting Quality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 355-355, May.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Donald Arnold & Richard Bernardi & Presha Neidermeyer & Josef Schmee, 2007. "The Effect of Country and Culture on Perceptions of Appropriate Ethical Actions Prescribed by Codes of Conduct: A Western European Perspective among Accountants," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(4), pages 327-340, February.
- Tae Choi & Jinhan Pae, 2011. "Business Ethics and Financial Reporting Quality: Evidence from Korea," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 403-427, October.
- repec:eee:crpeac:v:19:y:2008:i:8:p:1370-1383 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2004.
"Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-border Takeover Bids,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 9-45.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2002. "Shareholder Wealth Effects of European Domestic and Cross-Border Takeover Bids," Discussion Paper 2002-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hsiang-Lin Chih & Chung-Hua Shen & Feng-Ching Kang, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Investor Protection, and Earnings Management: Some International Evidence," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 179-198, April.
- Cai, Lei & Rahman, Asheq & Courtenay, Stephen, 2014. "The Effect of IFRS Adoption Conditional Upon the Level of Pre-adoption Divergence," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 147-178.
- Yoonseok Zang, 2008. "Discretionary behavior with respect to the adoption of SFAS no. 142 and the behavior of security prices," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(1), pages 38-68, February.
- Strong, John S & Meyer, John R, 1987. " Asset Writedowns: Managerial Incentives and Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 643-661, July.
- repec:bla:joares:v:38:y:2000:i:2:p:375-386 is not listed on IDEAS
- Catherine Gowthorpe & Oriol Amat, 2004. "Creative accounting: Some ethical issues of macro- and micro-manipulation," Economics Working Papers 748, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Anne Beatty & Joseph Weber, 2006. "Accounting Discretion in Fair Value Estimates: An Examination of SFAS 142 Goodwill Impairments," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 257-288, May.
- Tyrone M. Carlin & Nigel Finch, 2010. "Evidence on IFRS goodwill impairment testing by Australian and New Zealand firms," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(9), pages 785-798, August.
- Christian Petersen & Thomas Plenborg, 2010. "How Do Firms Implement Impairment Tests of Goodwill?," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 46(4), pages 419-446, December.
- Réal Labelle & Rim Makni Gargouri & Claude Francoeur, 2010. "Ethics, Diversity Management, and Financial Reporting Quality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 335-353, May.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Carmelo Reverte, 2009. "Determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure Ratings by Spanish Listed Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(2), pages 351-366, August.
- Michael Kirschenheiter, 2002. "Can "Big Bath" and Earnings Smoothing Co-exist as Equilibrium Financial Reporting Strategies?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 761-796, June.
- repec:bla:joares:v:34:y:1996:i::p:117-134 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:sen:rebelj:v:liv:y:2009:i:2:p:106-129 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Cheol, 2011. "The effect of SFAS 142 on the ability of goodwill to predict future cash flows," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 236-255, May.
- Henry Jarva, 2009. "Do Firms Manage Fair Value Estimates? An Examination of SFAS 142 Goodwill Impairments," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(9-10), pages 1059-1086.
- Steven L. Henning & Wayne H. Shaw & Toby Stock, 2004. "The Amount and Timing of Goodwill Write-Offs and Revaluations: Evidence from U.S. and U.K. Firms," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 99-121, September.
- Eugene E. Comiskey & Charles W. Mulford, 2010. "Goodwill, triggering events, and impairment accounting," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(9), pages 746-767, August.
- repec:eee:reacre:v:23:y:2011:i:2:p:145-148 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Verriest & A. Gaeremynck, 2009. "What Determines Goodwill Impairment?," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 54(2), pages 106-129, June.
- Siriluck Sutthachai & Terence E. Cooke, 2009. "An Analysis of Thai Financial Reporting Practices and the Impact of the 1997 Economic Crisis," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 45(4), pages 493-517.
- Merchant, Kenneth A. & Rockness, Joanne, 1994. "The ethics of managing earnings: An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 79-94.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hur:ijaraf:v:7:y:2017:i:2:p:177-196 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:jiaata:v:31:y:2018:i:c:p:52-73 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsAccounting ethics; Business combinations; Earnings management; Goodwill impairment; IFRS 3; Managerial ethical behavior; Spain;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:132:y:2015:i:1:p:21-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.