Corporations and NGOs: When Accountability Leads to Co-optation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gilbert, Dirk Ulrich & Rasche, Andreas, 2007. "Discourse Ethics and Social Accountability: The Ethics of SA 8000," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 187-216, April.
- O'Dwyer, Brendan & Unerman, Jeffrey, 2008. "The paradox of greater NGO accountability: A case study of Amnesty Ireland," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 801-824.
- Carroll, Archie B., 1991. "The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 39-48.
- Baur, Dorothea & Palazzo, Guido, 2011. "The Moral Legitimacy of NGOs as Partners of Corporations," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 579-604, October.
- Ebrahim, Alnoor, 2003. "Accountability In Practice: Mechanisms for NGOs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 813-829, May.
- Edwards, Michael & Hulme, David, 1996. "Too close for comfort? the impact of official aid on nongovernmental organizations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 961-973, June.
- Scherer, Andreas Georg & Palazzo, Guido & Baumann, Dorothée, 2006. "Global Rules and Private Actors: Toward a New Role of the Transnational Corporation in Global Governance," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 505-532, October.
- Daniel Arenas & Josep Lozano & Laura Albareda, 2009. "The Role of NGOs in CSR: Mutual Perceptions Among Stakeholders," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 175-197.
- Kilby, Patrick, 2006. "Accountability for Empowerment: Dilemmas Facing Non-Governmental Organizations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 951-963, June.
- Duane Windsor, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility: Three Key Approaches," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 93-114, January.
- Moon, Jeremy & Crane, Andrew & Matten, Dirk, 2005. "Can Corporations be Citizens? Corporate Citizenship as a Metaphor for Business Participation in Society," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 429-453, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cedric Dawkins, 2014. "The Principle of Good Faith: Toward Substantive Stakeholder Engagement," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 283-295.
- Viveros, Hector, 2017. "Unpacking stakeholder mechanisms to influence corporate social responsibility in the mining sector," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 1-12.
- Janine Hiller, 2013. "The Benefit Corporation and Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 287-301.
- Sylvaine Poret, 2014.
"Corporate-NGO partnerships in CSR activities: why and how?,"
2014-04, Alimentation et Sciences Sociales.
- Sylvaine Poret, 2014. "Corporate-NGO partnerships in CSR activities: why and how?," Working Papers hal-01070474, HAL.
- Maliheh Mansouri & Julie Rowney, 2014. "The Dilemma of Accountability for Professionals: A Challenge for Mainstream Management Theories," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 45-56.
- Peter Lund-Thomsen & Adam Lindgreen, 2014. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Global Value Chains: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 11-22.
- Dominik Rueede & Karin Kreutzer, 2015. "Legitimation Work Within a Cross-Sector Social Partnership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 128(1), pages 39-58, April.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:8:p:1410-:d:107800 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hielscher, Stefan & Winkin, Jan & Pies, Ingo, 2016. "NGO credibility as private or public good? A governance perspective on how to improve NGO advocacy in public discourse," Discussion Papers 2016-03, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Chair of Economic Ethics.
- repec:kap:jbuset:v:144:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10551-015-2812-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ulybina, Olga & Fennell, Shailaja, 2013. "Forest certification in Russia: Challenges of institutional development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 178-187.
- Oguz Morali & Cory Searcy, 2013. "A Review of Sustainable Supply Chain Management Practices in Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 635-658.
- Maddy Janssens & Chris Steyaert, 2012. "Towards an Ethical Research Agenda for International HRM: The Possibilities of a Plural Cosmopolitan Framework," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 61-72.
- Dirk C. Moosmayer & Susannah M. Davis, 2016. "Staking Cosmopolitan Claims: How Firms and NGOs Talk About Supply Chain Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 403-417.
- Valentina Mele & Donald Schepers, 2013. "E Pluribus Unum? Legitimacy Issues and Multi-stakeholder Codes of Conduct," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 118(3), pages 561-576, December.
More about this item
KeywordsNGOs; CSR; NGO-business partnerships; Accountability; Co-optation; Watchdogs;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:106:y:2012:i:1:p:9-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .