Keeping the big fish: Economic and ecological tradeoffs in size-based fisheries management
We explore several issues raised by a size dependent regulation of a fishery in a situation where it is important for conservation purposes to keep highly reproductive big fish and where the fish prices depend on their body size. Firstly, we represent in a common modeling frame, the interplay between the biological characteristics of the exploited species (growth, reproduction) and the price/size relationship. Secondly, we explore the benefits of conservation measures based on a maximum body size for the fish caught instead of a minimum body size. As a result of computations, it appears that one should ask whether a management based on a maximum body size is not both possible to implement and equally protective of the stock, even when the price function depends on the size of fish. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2012
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rognvaldur Hannesson, 1975. "Fishery Dynamics: A North Atlantic Cod Fishery," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 8(2), pages 151-73, May.
- Mardle, Simon & Pascoe, Sean & Boncoeur, Jean & Gallic, Bertrand Le & García-Hoyo, Juan J. & Herrero, Inés & Jimenez-Toribio, Ramon & Cortes, Concepción & Padilla, Nuria & Nielsen, Jesper Raakjaer & M, 2002. "Objectives of fisheries management: case studies from the UK, France, Spain and Denmark," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 415-428, November.
- Wilen, James E., 1985. "Bioeconomics of renewable resource use," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-124 Elsevier.
- J. M. Gates, 1974. "Demand Price, Fish Size And The Price Of Fish," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 22(3), pages 1-12, November.
- Tahvonen, Olli, 2009. "Economics of harvesting age-structured fish populations," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 281-299, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbioec:v:14:y:2012:i:3:p:267-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.