Implementing Subnational Value Added Taxes on Internal Trade: The Compensating VAT (CVAT)
Thispaper describes an ingenious and elegant scheme for implementinga destination-based value added tax (VAT) on cross-border tradewithin a nation or group of nations. Sales to local purchasers(registered traders, households, and unregistered traders) wouldbe subject to the local VAT, but sales to purchasers in otherstates would be zero-rated for state VAT and subject insteadto a ``compensating value added tax'' (CVAT). Credit would beallowed for tax on purchases by registered traders: for the localVAT on intrastate purchases and for the CVAT on interstate purchases. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Bird & Pierre Gendron, 1998. "Dual VATs and Cross-Border Trade: Two Problems, One Solution?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 429-442, July.
- Richard Miller Bird, 1999. "Rethinking Subnational Taxes; A New Look At Tax Assignment," IMF Working Papers 99/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Ring, Raymond J. Jr., 1999. "Consumers’ Share and Producers’ Share of the General Sales Tax," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 1), pages 79-90, March.
- Charles McLure, 1999. "Electronic Commerce and the State Retail Sales Tax: A Challenge to American Federalism," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 193-224, May.
- Charles E. Mclure, 1987. "The Value Added Tax," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 725195, 6.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:7:y:2000:i:6:p:723-740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.