A multilevel modelling approach to triple-bounded dichotomous choice contingent valuation
The use of dichotomous choice (DC) questions in the elicitation of willingness to pay (WTP) in contingent valuation studies is common practice at the present time. Recent research has shown that double-bounded DC questions provide statistically superior results to single-bounded questions, given an appropriate sampling design. This paper uses a relatively new multilevel modelling technique to analyze a triple-bounded DC design, which in addition includes an initial non-monetary question on whether an individual accepts, in principle, a WTP some unspecified amount. The theoretical basis of the multilevel model used is described, and some of the possibilities of this potentially powerful and versatile technique are discussed. The practical operation of the multilevel model is demonstrated using data from a contingent valuation study conducted in the Norfolk Broads, England, an internationally important wetland resource. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1996
Volume (Year): 7 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John W. Duffield & David A. Patterson, 1991. "Inference and Optimal Design for a Welfare Measure in Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(2), pages 225-239.
- Langford, Ian H. & Bateman, Ian J., 1996.
"Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 265-267, December.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Langford, Ian H. & Turner, R. Kerry & Willis, Ken G. & Garrod, Guy D., 1995. "Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-179, February.
- Bengt Kriström, 1993. "Comparing continuous and discrete contingent valuation questions," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(1), pages 63-71, February.
- Cooper Joseph C., 1993. "Optimal Bid Selection for Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 25-40, January.
- Barbara J. Kanninen, 1993. "Optimal Experimental Design for Double-Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(2), pages 138-146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:7:y:1996:i:3:p:197-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.