Flexible Water Sharing within an International River Basin
Increasing scarcity of water resources, and greatervariability in available water supply, are causingacute difficulties for allocation agreements amongusers of water bodies. One cause of controversy,especially for river waters, is the inability of mostallocation operations to accommodate variations inconditions. In this paper we develop a flexiblemechanism that produces a Pareto-efficient allocationfor every possible flow volume in a river. Extensionsto accommodate other kinds of variation, such as waterdemand, are feasible. The mechanism is demonstratedusing historical water flow data for the Ganges, basedon stylized water demand relationships for India andBangladesh. Quantitative comparison between fixed andvariable allocation suggests that variable allocationsubstantially outperforms fixed allocation, improvingregional welfare by at least ten percent. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Volume (Year): 18 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinar, Ariel & Wolf, Aaron, 1994. "International Markets for Water and the Potential for Regional Cooperation: Economic and Political Perspectives in the Western Middle East," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 43-66, October.
- Barret, Scott & DEC, 1994. "Conflict and cooperation in managing international water resources," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1303, The World Bank.
- Giannias, Dimitrios A. & Lekakis, Joseph N., 1997. "Policy analysis for an amicable, efficient and sustainable inter-country fresh water resource allocation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 231-242, June.
- Kilgour, D. Marc & Dinar, Ariel, 1995. "Are stable agreements for sharing international river waters now possible?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1474, The World Bank.
- Booker J. F. & Young R. A., 1994. "Modeling Intrastate and Interstate Markets for Colorado River Water Resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 66-87, January.
- Dimitrios Giannias & Joseph Lekakis, 1996. "Fresh surface water resource allocation between Bulgaria and Greece," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 8(4), pages 473-483, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:18:y:2001:i:1:p:43-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.