Tests of Long Memory: A Bootstrap Approach
Many time series in diverse fields have been found to exhibit long memory. This paper analyzes the behaviour of some of the most used tests of long memory: the R/S analysis, the modified R/S, the Geweke and Porter-Hudak (GPH) test and the detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA). Some of these tests exhibit size distortions in small samples. It is well known that the bootstrap procedure may correct this fact. Here I examine the size and power of those tests for finite samples and different distributions, such as the normal, uniform, and lognormal. In the short-memory processes such as AR, MA and ARCH and long memory ones such as ARFIMA, p-values are calculated using the post-blackening moving-block bootstrap. The Monte Carlo study suggests that the bootstrap critical values perform better. The results are applied to financial return time series. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 25 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersson, Michael K. & Gredenhoff, Mikael P., 1997. "Bootstrap Testing for Fractional Integration," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 188, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989.
"Long-term memory in stock market prices,"
3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1999.
"The Size Distortion Of Bootstrap Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 361-376, June.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2003. "Note on bandwidth selection in testing for long range dependence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 33-39, January.
- Kokoszka, Piotr S. & Taqqu, Murad S., 1995. "Fractional ARIMA with stable innovations," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 19-47, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:25:y:2005:i:1:p:103-113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.