Test for long memory processes. A bootstrap approach
Many time series in diverse fields have been found to exhibit long memory. This paper analyzes the behavior of some of the most used tests for long memory: the R/S or rescaled R/S, the GPH (Geweke and Porter-Hudak) and the DFA (Detrended Fluctuation Analysis). Some of these tests exhibit size distortions in small-samples. It is well known that the bootstrap procedure may correct this fact. In this paper, size and power for those tests, for finite samples and different distributions such as normal, uniform and log-normal are investigated. In the case of short memory process, such as AR, MA and ARCH and long memory such as ARFIMA, p-values are calculated using the post-blackening, moving block bootstrap. The Monte Carlo studies suggest that the bootstrap critical values perform better. The results are applied to financial return time series.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://comp-econ.org/Email: |
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1999.
"The Size Distortion Of Bootstrap Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 361-376, June.
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Gredenhoff, Mikael P., 1997. "Bootstrap Testing for Fractional Integration," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 188, Stockholm School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf4:111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.