Robust Control: A Note on the Response of the Control to Changes in the “Free” Parameter Conditional on the Character of Nature
In this paper an analytical framework similar to a robust control problem was developed for the one-state, one-control variable model to examine the response of the control to changes in the “free” parameter. However, in contrast to Gonzalez and Rodriguez (2003), the sign multiplying the “free” parameter in the criterion function of the min–max problem is positive. We find that this set up corresponds to the case where nature is benevolent while the problem posed by Gonzalez and Rodriguez (2003) corresponds to a malevolent nature. We show that for the benevolent case, the solution is a minimum giving way to an ordinary control problem. In addition, the left side of the discontinuity in Gonzalez and Rodriguez (2003) corresponds to the benevolent case. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 2001. "Acknowledging Misspecification in Macroeconomic Theory," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(3), pages 519-535, July.
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wieland, Volker, 2000.
"Inflation zone targeting,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1351-1387, June.
- Becker, R. & Hall, S. & Rustem, B., 1994. "Robust optimal decisions with stochastic nonlinear economic systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 125-147, January.
- Robert J. Tetlow & Peter von zur Muehlen, 2000.
"Robust monetary policy with misspecified models: does model uncertainty always call for attenuated policy?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- J. Tetlow, Robert & von zur Muehlen, Peter, 2001. "Robust monetary policy with misspecified models: Does model uncertainty always call for attenuated policy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 911-949, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J. & Wang, Neng E., 2002. "Robust Permanent Income And Pricing With Filtering," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 40-84, February.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent & Thomas D. Tallarini, 1999.
"Robust Permanent Income and Pricing,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 873-907.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent & Thomas D. Tallarini Jr., 1997. "Robust Permanent Income and Pricing," Levine's Working Paper Archive 596, David K. Levine.
- Lars Hansen & Thomas Sargent & Thomas Tallarini, . "Robust Permanent Income and Pricing," GSIA Working Papers 1997-51, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Arnulfo Rodriguez & Fidel Gonzalez, 2004. "Robust Control: A Note on the Response of the Control to Changes in the," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 114, Society for Computational Economics.
- P. Ruben Mercado & David Kendrick, 1999.
"Caution in Macroeconomic Policy: Uncertainty and the Relative Intensity of Policy,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1343, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mercado, P. Ruben & Kendrick, David A., 2000. "Caution in macroeconomic policy: uncertainty and the relative intensity of policy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 37-41, July.
- Hans M. Amman & David A. Kendrick, 1996. "The DUALI/DUALPC Software for Optimal Control Models: Introduction," CARE Working Papers 9602, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Robert J. Tetlow & Peter von zur Muehlen, 2002.
"Avoiding Nash inflation: Bayesian and robust responses to model uncertainty,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert Tetlow & Peter von zur Muehlen, 2004. "Avoiding Nash Inflation: Bayesian and Robus Responses to Model Uncertainty," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(4), pages 869-899, October.
- Gonzalez, Fidel & Rodriguez, Arnulfo, 2005. "Robust control: A note on the response of the control to changes in the "free" parameter," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 294-299, December.
- Hans M. Amman & David A. Kendrick, . "Computational Economics," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number comp1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:24:y:2004:i:3:p:223-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.