Robust Control: A Note on the Timing of Model Uncertainty
In this note a one-state, one-control variable quadratic linear problem with robust control and discount factor is developed to examine the optimal response of the first-period control to changes in future model uncertainty. A change in future model uncertainty has an effect on the optimal first-period control response going in the same direction as the one caused by an equal size change in current model uncertainty. However, both analytical and numerical results show that such effect is much lower than the one derived from a change in current model uncertainty. Moreover, such effect is even much lower as the change in model uncertainty moves farther away into the future. Finally, the infinite horizon result confirms the reinforcing nature of the effects on the optimal first-period control response of current and future changes in model uncertainty. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stan Žaković & Volker Wieland & Berc Rustem, 2007.
"Stochastic Optimization and Worst-Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 329-347, November.
- S. Zakovic & V. Wieland & B. Rustem, 2004. "Stochastic Optimisation and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 213, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005. "Stochastic optimization and worst-case analysis in monetary policy design," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/14, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005. "Stochastic Optimization and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," CEPR Discussion Papers 5019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gonzalez, Fidel & Rodriguez, Arnulfo, 2005. "Robust control: A note on the response of the control to changes in the "free" parameter," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 294-299, December.
- J. Tetlow, Robert & von zur Muehlen, Peter, 2001.
"Robust monetary policy with misspecified models: Does model uncertainty always call for attenuated policy?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 911-949, June.
- Robert J. Tetlow & Peter von zur Muehlen, 2000. "Robust monetary policy with misspecified models: does model uncertainty always call for attenuated policy?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mercado, P. Ruben & Kendrick, David A., 2000.
"Caution in macroeconomic policy: uncertainty and the relative intensity of policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 37-41, July.
- P. Ruben Mercado & David Kendrick, 1999. "Caution in Macroeconomic Policy: Uncertainty and the Relative Intensity of Policy," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1343, Society for Computational Economics.
- P. Ruben Mercado, 2004.
"The Timing of Uncertainty and the Intensity of Policy,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 303-313, June.
- P. Ruben Mercado, 2001. "The Timing of Uncertainty and The Intensity of Policy," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 55, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:24:y:2004:i:3:p:209-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.