The effects of EMU on euro area unemployment
The author analyzes the likely impact of EMU and the associated changes in the monetary, economic, and institutional environment on European labor markets in an open economy model. He shows that in this model, the formation of a monetary union (MU) has no effect on unemployment if the participating countries were part of a fixed exchange rate regime before entering the MU and if the monetary policy of the common central bank resembles that of the former anchor bank. In addition, he discusses various cases in which this conclusion does not hold and where one can expect an impact of EMU on structural unemployment. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2002
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Suite 650, International Tower, 229 Peachtree Street, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30303|
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steinar Holden, 2002.
"Wage Setting Under Different Monetary Regimes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
632, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 2000. "Monetary union and labor market reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 421-435, August.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-1189.
- Gilles Saint Paul & Samuel Bentolila, 2000.
"Will EMU increase eurosclerosis?,"
Economics Working Papers
449, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2001.
"Welfare and Macroeconomic Interdependence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 116(2), pages 421-445.
- Burda, Michael C., 1999.
"European labor markets and the Euro: How much flexibility do we really need?,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,41, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Michael C. Burda, 2001. "European Labour Markets and the Euro: How Much Flexibility Do We Really Need?," Economics Working Papers 003, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Burda, Michael C, 1999. "European Labour Markets and the Euro: How Much Flexibility Do We Really Need?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999.
"Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998. "Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence," Discussion Paper 1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Markus Knell, 2002.
"Wage Formation in Open Economies and the Role of Monetary and Wage-Setting Institutions,"
63, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Knell, Markus, 2003. "Wage Formation in Open Economies and the Role of Monetary and Wage-Setting Institutions," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 124, Royal Economic Society.
- Gruner, Hans Peter & Hefeker, Carsten, 1999. " How Will EMU Affect Inflation and Unemployment in Europe?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(1), pages 33-47, March.
- Torben M. Andersen & Niels Haldrup & Jan Rose Sørensen, 2000. "Labour market implications of EU product market integration," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 105-134, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:30:y:2002:i:3:p:244-262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.