Board Size, Independence and Performance: An Analysis of Thai Banks
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Geoffrey C. Kiel & Gavin J. Nicholson, 2003. "Board Composition and Corporate Performance: how the Australian experience informs contrasting theories of corporate governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 189-205, July.
- Chutatong Charumilind & Raja Kali & Yupana Wiwattanakantang, 2006.
"Connected Lending: Thailand before the Financial Crisis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 181-218, January.
- Charumilind, Chutatong & Kali, Raja & Wiwattanakantang, Yupana, 2003. "Connected Lending: Thailand before the Financial Crisis," CEI Working Paper Series 2003-19, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999.
"Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997. "Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," Papers 97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000. "Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," NBER Working Papers 7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119-119.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Victor Dulewicz & Peter Herbert, 2004. "Does the Composition and Practice of Boards of Directors Bear Any Relationship to the Performance of their Companies?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 263-280, July.
- Jonathan R. Macey & Maureen O'Hara, 2003. "The corporate governance of banks," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 91-107.
- Cotter, James F. & Shivdasani, Anil & Zenner, Marc, 1997. "Do independent directors enhance target shareholder wealth during tender offers?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 195-218, February.
- Agrawal, Anup & Knoeber, Charles R., 1996. "Firm Performance and Mechanisms to Control Agency Problems between Managers and Shareholders," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 377-397, September.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1991.
"The Effects of Board Composition and Direct Incentives on Firm Performance,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), Winter.
- Hermalin, B.E. & Weisbech, M.S., 1991. "The Effects of Board Composition and Direct Incentives on Firm Performance," Papers 91-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Renee B. Adams & Hamid Mehran, 2003. "Is corporate governance different for bank holding companies?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 123-142.
- Furfine, Craig H, 2001. "Banks as Monitors of Other Banks: Evidence from the Overnight Federal Funds Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Pathan, Shams & Skully, Michael & Wickramanayake, J., 2008. "Reforms in Thai bank governance: The aftermath of the Asian financial crisis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 345-362.
- Farrell, Kathleen A & Whidbee, David A, 2000. "The Consequences of Forced CEO Succession for Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 597-627, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2003.
"Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: a survey of the economic literature,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 7-26.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Boards of Directors as an Endogenously Determined Institution: A Survey of the Economic Literature," NBER Working Papers 8161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Daniel, Naveen D. & Naveen, Lalitha, 2008. "Boards: Does one size fit all," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 329-356, February.
- Eisenberg, Theodore & Sundgren, Stefan & Wells, Martin T., 1998. "Larger board size and decreasing firm value in small firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 35-54, April.
- Anup Agrawal & Charles R. Knoeber, "undated". "Firm Performance and Mechanisms to Control Agency Problems between Managers and Shareholders (Revision of 29-94)," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 8-96, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Renée B. Adams & Hamid Mehran, 2008. "Corporate performance, board structure, and their determinants in the banking industry," Staff Reports 330, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beisland, Leif Atle & Mersland, Roy & Randøy, Trond, 2014. "The Association between microfinance rating scores and corporate governance: a global survey," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 268-280.
- Hamid Mohsin Jadah & Logasvathi A/P Murugiah & Azira Binti Abdul Adzis, 2016. "The Effect of Board Characteristics on Iraqi Banks Performance," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 6(4), pages 205-214, October.
- Zulkufly Ramly & Sok-Gee Chan & Mohd Zulkhairi Mustapha & Noor Sharoja Sapiei, 2017. "Women on boards and bank efficiency in ASEAN-5: the moderating role of the independent directors," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 225-250, January.
- Maria-Eleni K. Agoraki & Manthos D. Delis & Panagiotis K. Staikouras, 2010.
"The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency,"
International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(4), pages 357-386.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis, 2009. "The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency," MPRA Paper 18548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anastasia Stepanova & Olga Ivantsova, 2012. "Does Corporate Governance Have an Effect on Performance in the European Banking Sector? Evidence from a Crisis Environment," HSE Working papers WP BRP 10/FE/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- repec:ers:journl:v:xx:y:2017:i:2a:p:538-567 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chee-keong Choong & Sok-gee Chan & Chuen-khee Pek, 2016. "The Effect of Board Composition on the Efficiency of Public Listed Companies in Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 36(3), pages 1354-1363.
- Bowo Setiyono & Amine Tarazi, 2014. "Does diversity of bank board members affect performance and risk? Evidence from an emerging market," Working Papers hal-01070988, HAL.
- Tientip Subhanij & Wanvimol Sawangngoenyuang, 2012. "Corporate Governance and Bank Performance in Thailand," Chapters,in: Research Handbook on International Banking and Governance, chapter 35 Edward Elgar Publishing.
More about this item
KeywordsBoard size; Independent directors; Thailand; Fixed-effects; Panel data; Commercial banks; Performance;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:14:y:2007:i:3:p:211-227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.