The Zero-Coupon/Interest-Only Fixed-Rate Mortgage: An Alternative for Funding Low-to-Moderate Income Housing
This proposal sets forth a concept for the public/private finance of owner-occupied, single-family homes for first-time homebuyers utilizing federal guarantees and private sector mortgages. Proposed funding requires no new tax revenues. The security that the program revolves around is a Zero-coupon/Interest-only Fixed-rate mortgage (ZIF). The ZIF has the potential to improve the allocation of resources for subsidizing low-income housing, to reduce risk exposure to rapidly declining property values, and to improve the self-esteem of a group of Americans who have been depressed for far too long by making homeownership a reality.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wai K. Leung, 1989. "Option Theory and Defaultable Mortgage Pricing," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 53-59.
- Dunn, Kenneth B & McConnell, John J, 1981. "A Comparison of Alternative Models for Pricing GNMA Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 471-484, May.
- Stephen D. Smith, 1991. "Analyzing risk and return for mortgage-backed securities," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jan, pages 2-11.
- Black, Deborah G & Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1981. "The Impact of the GNMA Pass-through Program on FHA Mortgage Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 457-469, May.
- Dunn, Kenneth B & Spatt, Chester S, 1985. " An Analysis of Mortgage Contracting: Prepayment Penalties and the Due-on-Sale Clause," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 293-308, March.
- Richard A. Phillips & James VanderHoff, 1991. "Adjustable- versus Fixed-Rate Mortgage Choice: The Role of Initial Rate Discounts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 39-52.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " Prepayment and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 375-392, June.
- James F. Epperson & James B. Kau & Donald C. Keenan & Walter J. Muller, 1985. "Pricing Default Risk in Mortgages," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 261-272.
- Patric H. Hendershott & James D. Shilling & Kevin E. Villani, 1983. "Measurement of the Spreads Between Yields on Various Mortgage Contracts and Treasury Securities," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(4), pages 476-490.
- Patric H. Hendershott, 1986. "Mortgage Pricing: What Have We Learned So Far?," NBER Working Papers 1959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James L. Kuhle, 1987. "Portfolio Diversification and Return Benefits--Common Stock vs. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:2:1994:p:263-276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.