The Zero-Coupon/Interest-Only Fixed-Rate Mortgage: An Alternative for Funding Low-to-Moderate Income Housing
This proposal sets forth a concept for the public/private finance of owner-occupied, single-family homes for first-time homebuyers utilizing federal guarantees and private sector mortgages. Proposed funding requires no new tax revenues. The security that the program revolves around is a Zero-coupon/Interest-only Fixed-rate mortgage (ZIF). The ZIF has the potential to improve the allocation of resources for subsidizing low-income housing, to reduce risk exposure to rapidly declining property values, and to improve the self-esteem of a group of Americans who have been depressed for far too long by making homeownership a reality.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen D. Smith, 1991. "Analyzing risk and return for mortgage-backed securities," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jan, pages 2-11.
- Dunn, Kenneth B & Spatt, Chester S, 1985. " An Analysis of Mortgage Contracting: Prepayment Penalties and the Due-on-Sale Clause," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 293-308, March.
- Patric H. Hendershott, 1986. "Mortgage Pricing: What Have We Learned So Far?," NBER Working Papers 1959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " Prepayment and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 375-92, June.
- Patric H. Hendershott & James D. Shilling & Kevin E. Villani, 1983. "Measurement of the Spreads Between Yields on Various Mortgage Contracts and Treasury Securities," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(4), pages 476-490.
- Richard A. Phillips & James VanderHoff, 1991. "Adjustable- versus Fixed-Rate Mortgage Choice: The Role of Initial Rate Discounts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 39-52.
- James F. Epperson & James B. Kau & Donald C. Keenan & Walter J. Muller, 1985. "Pricing Default Risk in Mortgages," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 261-272.
- Dunn, Kenneth B & McConnell, John J, 1981. "A Comparison of Alternative Models for Pricing GNMA Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 471-84, May.
- Black, Deborah G & Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1981. "The Impact of the GNMA Pass-through Program on FHA Mortgage Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 457-69, May.
- James L. Kuhle, 1987. "Portfolio Diversification and Return Benefits--Common Stock vs. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 1-9.
- Wai K. Leung, 1989. "Option Theory and Defaultable Mortgage Pricing," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 53-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:2:1994:p:263-276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.