Price Adjustment and Liquidity in a Residential Real Estate Market with an Accelerated Information Cascade
We examine the effect of an unannounced information event, Hurricane Katrina, on the liquidity of the residential real estate market in an area proximately located to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Using 2SLS and Weibull techniques applied to a unique MLS data set, we test changes in liquidity in a submarkets framework. Results suggest Katrina created submarket effects with respect to the listing and sales periods of our sample and market liquidity was directly influenced by this event. We suggest that this effect was tied to information flow as owners of heavily damaged properties sought new housing in a nearby area.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Donald Jud & Terry G. Seaks & Daniel T. Winkler, 1996. "Time on the Market: The Impact of Residential Brokerage," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 447-458.
- Rutherford, R.C. & Springer, T.M. & Yavas, A., 2005. "Conflicts between principals and agents: evidence from residential brokerage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 627-665, June.
- Brent C Smith, 2008. "Intrajurisdictional Segmentation of Property Tax Burdens: Neighborhood Inequities Across an Urban Sphere," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 30(2), pages 207-224.
- Allen, Marcus T & Springer, Thomas M & Waller, Neil G, 1995. "Implicit Pricing across Residential Rental Submarkets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 137-51, September.
- Hans R. Isakson, 2004. "Analysis of the Effects of Large Lot Zoning," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(4), pages 397-416.
- Springer, Thomas M, 1996. "Single-Family Housing Transactions: Seller Motivations, Price, and Marketing Time," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 237-54, November.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K., 2001. "Asset Pricing under Asymmetric Information: Bubbles, Crashes, Technical Analysis, and Herding," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296980, June.
- Abdullah Yavas & Shiawee Yang, 1995. "The Strategic Role of Listing Price in Marketing Real Estate: Theory and Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 347-368.
- Karl L. Guntermann, 1995. "Sanitary Landfills, Stigma and Industrial Land Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(5), pages 531-542.
- Bulent Uyar & Kenneth H. Brown, 2005. "Impact of Local Public Services and Taxes on Dwelling Choice within a Single Taxing Jurisdiction: A Discrete Choice Model," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(4), pages 427-444.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:31:n:4:2009:p:421-454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.