Franchising in Residential Brokerage
This paper explores the profitability of real estate franchises. The database for the study consists of observations from the National Association of RealtorsÂ©' 2001 survey of real estate brokerage firms. Franchises are found to generate additional revenue for franchisees. However, net margins defined as the difference between revenues received and expenses paid (including franchise royalties) are lower for firms with franchises. The findings indicate that franchisors appear to extract the excess rents from the franchisee.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randy I. Anderson & Robert Fok & Leonard V. Zumpano & Harold W. Elder, 1998. "Measuring the Efficiency of Residential Real Estate Brokerage Firms," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(2), pages 139-158.
- James R. Frew & G. Donald Jud, 1986. "The Value of a Real Estate Franchise," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 374-383.
- Anderson, Randy I & Lewis, Danielle & Zumpano, Leonard V, 2000. "Residential Real Estate Brokerage Efficiency from a Cost and Profit Perspective," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 295-310, May.
- Gallini, Nancy T & Lutz, Nancy A, 1992. "Dual Distribution and Royalty Fees in Franchising," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 471-501, October.
- Marsha L. Richins & William C. Black & C.F. Sirmans, 1987. "Strategic Orientation and Marketing Strategy: An Analysis of Residential Real Estate Brokerage Firms," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 41-54.
- Jud, G Donald & Rogers, Ronald C & Crellin, Glenn E, 1994. "Franchising and Real Estate Brokerage," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 87-93, January.
- Mathewson, G Frank & Winter, Ralph A, 1985. "The Economics of Franchise Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 503-526, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 1041-1080, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1996. "The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danielle Lewis & Randy Anderson, 1999. "Residential Real Estate Brokerage Efficiency and the Implications of Franchising: A Bayesian Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 543-560.
- G Stacy Sirmans & David A. Macpherson, 2001. "Affinity Programs and the Real Estate Brokerage Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 22(3), pages 337-352.
- Leonard V. Zumpano & Harold W. Elder, 1994. "Economies of Scope and Density in the Market for Real Estate Brokerage Services," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 497-513. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:28:n:1:2006:p:61-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.