REIT Property-Type Sector Integration
Equity real estate investment trust (REITs) grouped by property-type sectors have become more integrated over the 1989 to 1998 period as evidenced by increasing correlation over time. Specifically, six pairs of equity REITs grouped as having predominantly apartment, industrial, office and retail properties in their portfolios were examined for correlations of rolling sixty-month returns. Property-type-specific equity REIT portfolios showed a similar trend in rolling sixty-month return correlations, but at generally lower levels than randomly-generated property-type-neutral portfolios. When correlations of property-type-specific portfolios differed statistically from property-type-neutral sample portfolios, the average monthly return differences were not found to be statistically significant.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Young, Michael S & Graff, Richard A, 1995. "Real Estate Is Not Normal: A Fresh Look at Real Estate Return Distributions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 225-59, May.
- Richard A. Graff & Adrian Harrington & Michael S. Young, 1997. "The Shape of Australian Real Estate Return Distributions and Comparisons to the United States," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 291-308.
- Richard A. Graff & Michael S. Young, 1997. "Serial Persistence in Equity REIT Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 183-214.
- Graff, Richard A & Young, Michael S, 1996. "Real Estate Return Correlations: Real-World Limitations on Relationships Inferred from NCREIF Data," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 121-42, September.
- Terence Khoo & David Hartzell & Martin Hoesli, 1993. "An Investigation of the Change in Real Estate Investment Trust Betas," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 107-130.
- Joseph Gyourko & Edward Nelling, 1996.
"Systematic Risk and Diversification in the Equity REIT Market,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(4), pages 493-515.
- Joseph Gyourko & Edward Nelling, . "Systematic Risk and Diversification in the Equity REIT Market," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 11-94, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Su Han Chan & Wai Kin Leung & Ko Wang, 1998. "Institutional Investment in REITs: Evidence and Implications," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 357-374.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:19:n:1:2000:p:3-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.