A Simultaneous Model and Empirical Test of the Demand and Supply of Retail Space
Much of the burgeoning distress of the 1990s in the United States retail space markets reflects a growing mismatch in the amount and location of retail space demand and supply. Understanding the demand and supply for retail space is critically important to academics, professionals and others associated with owning, operating and financing retail space. Using data from nineteen major metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) for the period 1986-95, this article develops a simultaneous model of retail space demand and supply which includes the influence of vacancy rate. The model and results provide evidence about how demand and supply for retail space respond to changes in retail sales, rental prices, land-use regulation and land availability, and the cost of capital. The results show inelastic price elasticities of demand and supply for retail space.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rose, Louis A., 1989. "Urban land supply: Natural and contrived restrictions," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 325-345, May.
- G. Donald Jud & John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "What Do We Know about Apartments and Their Markets?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(3), pages 243-258.
- Mark J. Eppli & John D. Benjamin, 1994. "The Evolution of Shopping Center Research: A Review and Analysis," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 5-32.
- Benjamin, John D & Jud, G Donald & Winkler, Daniel T, 1995. "An Analysis of Shopping Center Investment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 161-68, March.
- Stephen E. Roulac, 1994. "Retail Real Estate in the 21st Century: Information Technology + Time Consciousness + Unintelligent Stores = Intelligent Shopping? NOT!," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 125-150.
- Stephen Malpezzi, 1994. "Housing Prices, Externalities, and Regulation in U.S. Metropolitan Areas," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 94-08, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:16:n:1:1998:p:1-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.