Maintenance of Residential Rental Property: An Empirical Analysis
The maintenance costs of 137 residential rental properties in northwestern South Carolina are analyzed. The results show that maintenance cost per square foot increases with property age, tenant turnover, certain amenities, and for higher-rent properties. Compared to other property types, apartments exhibit higher maintenance costs per square foot with larger complexes showing lower per square foot maintenance costs than smaller complexes. This cost economy suggests added value to rental housing for larger complexes. Owners of multiple properties are found to pay higher maintenance costs. Finally, there is no observed relationship between absentee ownership and the level of property maintenance.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vorst, A. C. F., 1987. "Optimal housing maintenance under uncertainty," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 209-227, March.
- G. Stacy Sirmans & John D. Benjamin, 1991. "Determinants of Market Rent," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(3), pages 357-380.
- Arnott, Richard & Davidson, Russell & Pines, David, 1983. "Housing Quality, Maintenance and Rehabilitation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 467-94, July.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Randolph, William C., 1988. "Estimation of housing depreciation: Short-term quality change and long-term vintage effects," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 162-178, March.
- Michael E. Solt & Norman G. Miller, 1985. "Managerial Incentives: Implications for the Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 404-423.
- Wang, Ko & Grissom, Terry V. & Webb, James R. & Spellman, Lewis, 1991. "The impact of rental properties on the value of single-family residences," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 152-166, September.
- Sidney B. Rosenberg & John B. Corgel, 1990. "Agency Costs in Apartment Property Management Contracts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 184-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:12:n:1:1996:p:89-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.