Estimation and forecasting in first-order vector autoregressions with near to unit roots and conditional heteroscedasticity
This paper investigates the effects of imposing invalid cointegration restrictions or ignoring valid ones on the estimation, testing and forecasting properties of the bivariate, first-order, vector autoregressive (VAR(1)) model. We first consider nearly cointegrated VARs, that is, stable systems whose largest root, l max , lies in the neighborhood of unity, while the other root, l min , is safely smaller than unity. In this context, we define the 'forecast cost of type I' to be the deterioration in the forecasting accuracy of the VAR model due to the imposition of invalid cointegration restrictions. However, there are cases where misspecification arises for the opposite reasons, namely from ignoring cointegration when the true process is, in fact, cointegrated. Such cases can arise when l max equals unity and l min is less than but near to unity. The effects of this type of misspecification on forecasting will be referred to as 'forecast cost of type II'. By means of Monte Carlo simulations, we measure both types of forecast cost in actual situations, where the researcher is led (or misled) by the usual unit root tests in choosing the unit root structure of the system. We consider VAR(1) processes driven by i.i.d. Gaussian or GARCH innovations. To distinguish between the effects of nonlinear dependence and those of leptokurtosis, we also consider processes driven by i.i.d. t(2) innovations. The simulation results reveal that the forecast cost of imposing invalid cointegration restrictions is substantial, especially for small samples. On the other hand, the forecast cost of ignoring valid cointegration restrictions is small but not negligible. In all the cases considered, both types of forecast cost increase with the intensity of GARCH effects. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1995.
"Impulse Response and Forecast Error Variance Asymptotics in Nonstationary VAR's,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1102, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 1998. "Impulse response and forecast error variance asymptotics in nonstationary VARs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 21-56.
- Michael P. Clements & David F. Hendry, 1999. "On winning forecasting competitions in economics," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 123-160.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 1997.
"Cointegration and Long-Horizon Forecasting,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 1997. "Cointegration and long-horizon forecasting," Working Papers 97-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Francis X. Diebold & Peter F. Christoffersen, 1997. "Cointegration and Long-Horizon Forecasting," IMF Working Papers 97/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Lin, Jin-Lung & Tsay, Ruey S, 1996. "Co-integration Constraint and Forecasting: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 519-538, Sept.-Oct.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Luukkonen, Ritva, 1997. "Testing cointegration in infinite order vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 93-126, November.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 1999. "FOURTH MOMENT STRUCTURE OF THE GARCH(p,q) PROCESS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 824-846, December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993.
"Robust Nonstationary Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1064, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hubrich, Kirstin & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1998.
"A review of systemscointegration tests,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,101, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Julia Campos & Neil R. Ericsson & David F. Hendry, 1993.
"Cointegration tests in the presence of structural breaks,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
440, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Campos, Julia & Ericsson, Neil R. & Hendry, David F., 1996. "Cointegration tests in the presence of structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 187-220, January.
- Hendry, David F & Doornik, Jurgen A, 1997. "The Implications for Econometric Modelling of Forecast Failure," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(4), pages 437-461, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Soren Johansen, 2002. "A Small Sample Correction for the Test of Cointegrating Rank in the Vector Autoregressive Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1929-1961, September.
- Kim, Kiwhan & Schmidt, Peter, 1993. "Unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 287-300, October.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-144, January.
- Clements, Michael P & Hendry, David F, 1995. "Forecasting in Cointegration Systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 127-146, April-Jun.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:28:y:2009:i:7:p:612-630. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.