Do seasonal unit roots matter for forecasting monthly industrial production?
We investigate the seasonal unit root properties of monthly industrial production series for 16 OECD countries within the context of a structural time series model. A basic version of this model assumes that there are 11 such seasonal unit roots. We propose to use model selection criteria (AIC and BIC) to examine if one or more of these are in fact stationary. We generally find that when these criteria indicate that a smaller number of seasonal unit roots can be assumed and hence that some seasonal roots are stationary, the corresponding model also gives more accurate one-step-ahead forecasts. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maravall, Agustin, 1985. "On Structural Time Series Models and the Characterization of Components," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 350-355, October.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- [Reference to Proietti], Tommaso, 2000. "Comparing seasonal components for structural time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 247-260.
- Yoshinori Kawasaki & Philip Hans Franses, 2003. "Detecting seasonal unit roots in a structural time series model," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 373-387.
- Osborn, Denise R. & Heravi, Saeed & Birchenhall, C. R., 1999. "Seasonal unit roots and forecasts of two-digit European industrial production," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 27-47, February.
- Thury, Gerhard & Witt, Stephen F., 1998. "Forecasting industrial production using structural time series models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 751-767, December.
- Harvey, A C, 1985. "Trends and Cycles in Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(3), pages 216-227, June.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. " Recent Advances in Modelling Seasonality," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 299-345, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)