Physical And Human Capital Accumulation And The Evolution Of Income And Inequality
We study how financial and educational institutions affect the evolution of income and income inequality in an overlapping generations model with heterogenous agents. While the literature mostly focuses on either physical or human capital, we make an attempt to study the joint evolution of these variables. In our model, we find that better educational institutions increase income of the individuals and are associated with lower income inequality. Better financial institutions also foster economic growth, but are associated with higher income inequality. Our model also demonstrates that focusing on aggregate measures of financial and educational institutions provides misleading results if one neglects the possibility of unequal access to these institutions.
Volume (Year): 38 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kunieda, Takuma, 2008. "Financial Development, Capital Flow, and Income Differences between Countries," MPRA Paper 11342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas Cornelissen & Uwe Jirjahn & Georgi Tsertsvadze, 2008. "Parental Background and Earnings: German Evidence on Direct and Indirect Relationship," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 554-572, December.
- Daniel Mejía & Marc St-Pierre, 2006.
"Unequal Opportunities and Human Capital Formation,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003737, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Daniel Mejía & Marc St-Pierre, 2005. "Unequal Opportunities and Human Capital Formation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1383, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel Mejía & Marc St-Pierre, . "Unequal Opportunities and Human Capital Formation," Borradores de Economia 415, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marc St-Pierre & Daniel Mejia, 2004. "Unequal opportunities and human capital formation," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 188, Econometric Society.
- Costas AZARIADIS & David DE LA CROIX, 2002.
"Growth or equality ? Losers and gainers from financial reform,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2002036, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- AZARIADIS, Costas & de la CROIX, David, 2002. "Growth or equality ? Losers and gainers from financial reform," CORE Discussion Papers 2002058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Loesse Jacques Esso, 2010. "Re-Examining The Finance-Growth Nexus: Structural Break, Threshold Cointegration And Causality Evidence From The Ecowas," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 35(3), pages 57-79, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Perotti, Enrico, 2007. "Finance and inequality: Channels and evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 748-773, December.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004.
"From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 1001-1026, October.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 1001-1026.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410005, EconWPA.
- Galor, Oded & Moav, Omer, 1999. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 1999. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development," Working Papers 99-27, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B., 2003. "Public education and income inequality," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 289-300, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:38:y:2013:i:3:p:57-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.