An Evaluation of the Impact of Density Regulation on Land Markets in Mumbai
TThe economic justification for regulation of land markets through land use controls and other policy instruments is a well-studied subject in developed countries. However, in the recent years, there has been an increasing realisation that the regulation of urban land use and its development has been resulting in some undesirable impacts, in particularly, on the operation of land or property markets, which result in increases in land prices and a reduction in the welfare of people. This paper presents an empirical evaluation of the density regulation impact on land prices in Mumbai city. The study finds that the impact of density regulation is highest on the already highly demanded space in the CBD; also, the impact is significant in the suburbs. The study results, however, need to be interpreted more carefully in the light of other land use and housing regulations already in operation.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Christopher J. & Somerville, C. Tsuriel, 2000.
"Land use regulation and new construction,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 639-662, December.
- Christopher J. Mayer & C. Tsuriel Somerville, "undated". "Land Use Regulation and New Construction," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 331, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- S Monk & B J Pearce & C M E Whitehead, 1996. "Land-use planning, land supply, and house prices," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(3), pages 495-511, March.
- Green, Richard K., 1999. "Land Use Regulation and the Price of Housing in a Suburban Wisconsin County," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 144-159, June.
- Richard K. Green, 1997. "Land Use Regulation and the Price of Housing in a Suburban Wisconsin County," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 97-04, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Sarah Monk & Christine M. E. Whitehead, 1999. "Evaluating the Economic Impact of Planning Controls in the United Kingdom: Some Implications for Housing," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(1), pages 74-93.
- Thorson, James A., 1997. "The Effect of Zoning on Housing Construction," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 81-91, March.
- Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1990. "The Effects of Land-Use Constraints on Housing Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 315-324.
- David E. Mills, 1989. "Is Zoning a Negative-Sum Game?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(1), pages 1-12.
- Mayo, Stephen & Sheppard, Stephen, 1996. "Housing Supply under Rapid Economic Growth and Varying Regulatory Stringency: An International Comparison," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 274-289, September.
- S Monk & B J Pearce & C M E Whitehead, 1996. "Land-Use Planning, Land Supply, and House Prices," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 28(3), pages 495-511, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:09:n:01:2006:p:132-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.