Getting Big Too Fast: Strategic Dynamics with Increasing Returns and Bounded Rationality
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- A. Michael Spence, 1979. "Investment Strategy and Growth in a New Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Glenn MacDonald & Michael D. Ryall, 2004. "How Do Value Creation and Competition Determine Whether a Firm Appropriates Value?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(10), pages 1319-1333, October.
- Parker, Philip M., 1994. "Aggregate diffusion forecasting models in marketing: A critical review," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 353-380, September.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-131, March.
- Geoffrey G. Parker & Marshall W. Van Alstyne, 2005. "Two-Sided Network Effects: A Theory of Information Product Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1494-1504, October.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1997. "Opportunities, Incentives and the Collective Patterns of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1530-1547, September.
- Steven Klepper & Elizabeth Graddy, 1990. "The Evolution of New Industries and the Determinants of Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 27-44, Spring.
- John D. Sterman, 1989. "Modeling Managerial Behavior: Misperceptions of Feedback in a Dynamic Decision Making Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 321-339, March.
- Shlomo Kalish, 1983. "Monopolist Pricing with Dynamic Demand and Production Cost," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 135-159.
- Collopy, Fred & Armstrong, J. Scott, 1992. "Expert opinions about extrapolation and the mystery of the overlooked discontinuities," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 575-582, December.
- Michael L. Katz & Carl Shapiro, 1994. "Systems Competition and Network Effects," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 93-115, Spring.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-583, June.
- A. M. Spence, 1981. "The Learning Curve and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 49-70, Spring.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1983. "Learning-by-Doing and Market Performance," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 522-530, Autumn.
- Pankaj Ghemawat & A. Michael Spence, 1985. "Learning Curve Spillovers and Market Performance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(Supplemen), pages 839-852.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991. "Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1984. "Capacity Expansion in the Titanium Dioxide Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 145-163, December.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Ken Hendricks & Robert Porter & Guofu Tan, 2003. "Bidding Rings and the Winner's Curse: The Case of Federal Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions," NBER Working Papers 9836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1987. "Investment in lumpy capacity," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 265-277, June.
- Marvin B. Lieberman, 1984. "The Learning Curve and Pricing in the Chemical Processing Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 213-228, Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karsten Kieckhäfer & Gunnar Quante & Christoph Müller & Thomas Stefan Spengler & Matthias Lossau & Wolfgang Jonas, 2018. "Simulation-Based Analysis of the Potential of Alternative Fuels towards Reducing CO 2 Emissions from Aviation," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Stefan N. Groesser & Niklas Jovy, 2016. "Business model analysis using computational modeling: a strategy tool for exploration and decision-making," Journal of Management Control: Zeitschrift für Planung und Unternehmenssteuerung, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 61-88, February.
- Reiner, Gerald & Gold, Stefan & Hahn, Rüdiger, 2015. "Wealth and health at the Base of the Pyramid: Modelling trade-offs and complementarities for fast moving dairy product case," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 170(PB), pages 413-421.
- Ignacio J. Martinez-Moyano & David P. McCaffrey & Rogelio Oliva, 2014. "Drift and Adjustment in Organizational Rule Compliance: Explaining the “Regulatory Pendulum” in Financial Markets," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 321-338, April.
- Juite Wang & Jung-Yu Lai & Li-Chun Hsiao, 2015. "Value network analysis for complex service systems: a case study on Taiwan’s mobile application services," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 9(3), pages 381-407, September.
- Ingrid Kubin & Laura Gardini, 2013.
"Border collision bifurcations in boom and bust cycles,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 811-829, September.
- Ingrid Kubin & Laura Gardini, 2012. "Border Collision Bifurcations in Boom and Bust Cycles," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp137, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Kubin, Ingrid & Gardini, Laura, 2012. "Border Collision Bifurcations in Boom and Bust Cycles," Department of Economics Working Paper Series 137, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Miles M. Yang & Showing Young & Shyh-Jane Li & Yu-Ying Huang, 2017. "Using System Dynamics to Investigate How Belief Systems Influence the Process of Organizational Change," Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 94-108, January.
- Schaffernicht, Martin F.G. & Groesser, Stefan N., 2014. "The SEXTANT software: A tool for automating the comparative analysis of mental models of dynamic systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 238(2), pages 566-578.
- García-Díaz, César & Moreno-Monroy, Ana I., 2012. "Social influence, agent heterogeneity and the emergence of the urban informal sector," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(4), pages 1563-1574.
- Roberto Cellini & Fabio Lamantia, 2015. "Quality competition in markets with regulated prices and minimum quality standards," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 345-370, April.
- Martin F. G. Schaffernicht & Stefan N. Groesser, 2016. "A competence development framework for learning and teaching system dynamics," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 32(1), pages 52-81, January.
- Daniela Vidal Flores & Rogerio Domenge Muñoz, 2017. "Simulador de vuelo ejecutivo como medio de aprendizaje en la planeación de recursos de nuevas empresas bajo el enfoque del marcador balanceado," Contaduría y Administración, Accounting and Management, vol. 62(2), pages 24-25, Abril-Jun.
- Stefan Groesser & Niklas Jovy, 2016. "Business model analysis using computational modeling: a strategy tool for exploration and decision-making," Journal of Management Control: Zeitschrift für Planung und Unternehmenssteuerung, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 61-88, February.
- Jianqiang Hu & Cheng Zhang & Chenbo Zhu, 2016. "( s , S ) Inventory Systems with Correlated Demands," INFORMS Journal on Computing, INFORMS, vol. 28(4), pages 603-611, November.
- Dahlander, Linus & Piezunka, Henning, 2014. "Open to suggestions: How organizations elicit suggestions through proactive and reactive attention," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 812-827.
- Federico Cosenz & Guido Noto, 2016. "Applying System Dynamics Modelling to Strategic Management: A Literature Review," Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(6), pages 703-741, November.
- John Sterman, 2014. "Interactive web-based simulations for strategy and sustainability: The MIT Sloan LearningEdge management flight simulators, Part I," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 30(1-2), pages 89-121, January.
- Michael Shayne Gary & Robert E. Wood, 2016. "Unpacking mental models through laboratory experiments," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 32(2), pages 99-127, April.
- Gjerløv-Juel, Pernille & Guenther, Christina, 2019. "Early employment expansion and long-run survival," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 80-102.
- Valérie Moatti & Charlotte R. Ren & Jaideep Anand & Pierre Dussauge, 2015. "Disentangling the performance effects of efficiency and bargaining power in horizontal growth strategies: An empirical investigation in the global retail industry," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(5), pages 745-757, May.
- Ruutu, Sampsa & Casey, Thomas & Kotovirta, Ville, 2017. "Development and competition of digital service platforms: A system dynamics approach," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 119-130.
- Albert Munoz & Matthew Pepper, 2015. "Maintaining stock and flow: a constructive alignment approach to training system dynamicists," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 31(4), pages 271-283, October.
- Torres, Juan Pablo & Kunc, Martin & O'Brien, Frances, 2017. "Supporting strategy using system dynamics," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 260(3), pages 1081-1094.
- P.J. Lamberson, 2016. "Winner-take-all or long tail? A behavioral model of markets with increasing returns," System Dynamics Review, System Dynamics Society, vol. 32(3-4), pages 233-260, July.
- Jukka Luoma & Sampsa Ruutu & Adelaide Wilcox King & Henrikki Tikkanen, 2017. "Time delays, competitive interdependence, and firm performance," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 506-525, March.
More about this item
Keywordsmarketing; applications; simulation; strategy; bounded rationality;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:53:y:2007:i:4:p:683-696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew Walls). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.