Mode Locking and Chaos in a Deterministic Queueing Model with Feedback
We consider a simple, deterministic queueing system with feedback, which exhibits the phenomena of sustained oscillation, mode locking, quasi-periodic behaviour, and chaos. This implies that a fully deterministic queueing system can exhibit seemingly unpredictable behaviour. We ignore variability, and focus on two forms of feedback: (i) the service rate increases as queue length increases, and (ii) the arrival rate depends on customers' perception of past waiting times. We model a customer's decision to seek service as a two stage process: (i) deciding whether or not to use a facility, and (ii) deciding the frequency of visit (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.). This frequency is initially constant, and later on replaced by a deterministic, time-dependent pattern. Although highly stylised, this model captures the essential features of many real-life systems whose average arrival rate varies over time. Reducing the amplitude of cycles in demand makes the system more predictable and thus easier to manage. Although we represent this model as a queue of customers waiting for service, the model can be interpreted more generally as any situation where an increase in demand lowers the quality of service.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjeev Dewan & Haim Mendelson, 1990. "User Delay Costs and Internal Pricing for a Service Facility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1502-1517, December.
- John D. Sterman, 1989. "Modeling Managerial Behavior: Misperceptions of Feedback in a Dynamic Decision Making Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 321-339, March.
- van Ackere, Ann, 1995. "Capacity management: Pricing strategy, performance and the role of information," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-100, June.
- Shaler Stidham, 1992. "Pricing and Capacity Decisions for a Service Facility: Stability and Multiple Local Optima," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(8), pages 1121-1139, August.
- Larsen, Erik Reimer & Morecroft, John D. W. & Thomsen, Jesper Skovhus & Mosekilde, Erik, 1993. "Devil's staircase and chaos from macroeconomic mode interaction," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 759-769.
- Brock, W. A., 1986. "Distinguishing random and deterministic systems: Abridged version," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 168-195, October.
- Naor, P, 1969. "The Regulation of Queue Size by Levying Tolls," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 15-24, January.
- Christopher M. Rump & Shaler Stidham, 1998. "Stability and Chaos in Input Pricing for a Service Facility with Adaptive Customer Response to Congestion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 246-261, February.
- Edelson, Noel M & Hildebrand, David K, 1975. "Congestion Tolls for Poisson Queuing Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 81-92, January.
- Walter Y. Oi, 1971. "A Disneyland Dilemma: Two-Part Tariffs for a Mickey Mouse Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(1), pages 77-96.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:49:y:2003:i:6:p:816-830. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.