A Non-Parametric Examination of Real Estate Mutual Fund Efficiency
Due to the recent lackluster performance in the stock market and low yields in the bond markets, investors have been looking for alternative investment opportunities. Publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs) have been a large beneficiary, receiving considerable flows of funds from investors looking for sustained and competitive yields and lower levels of investment risk. Many investors in the REIT market choose to participate via real estate mutual funds (RMFs), yet to date no research has focused on the efficiency in this arena. In this study, we employ data envelopment analysis (DEA), a non-parametric statistical procedure, to assess the relative performance of RMFs for the years 1997¡V2001. DEA is a procedure that tests whether decision-making units are operating on their efficient frontier, which requires minimum input usage for a given level of output, or vice versa. We find seven RMFs for 1997, three for 1998, three for 1999, four for 2000, and six for 2001 operating on the efficient frontier. Another result that we obtain is that by examining the mean inefficiencies of the input and output values, we determine the main sources of RMF inefficiency.
Volume (Year): 3 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. K. Malhotra & Robert W. McLeod, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis Of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-190, 06.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Murthi, B. P. S. & Choi, Yoon K. & Desai, Preyas, 1997. "Efficiency of mutual funds and portfolio performance measurement: A non-parametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 408-418, April.
- Malhotra, D K & McLeod, Robert W, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-190, Summer.