A Non-Parametric Examination of Real Estate Mutual Fund Efficiency
Due to the recent lackluster performance in the stock market and low yields in the bond markets, investors have been looking for alternative investment opportunities. Publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs) have been a large beneficiary, receiving considerable flows of funds from investors looking for sustained and competitive yields and lower levels of investment risk. Many investors in the REIT market choose to participate via real estate mutual funds (RMFs), yet to date no research has focused on the efficiency in this arena. In this study, we employ data envelopment analysis (DEA), a non-parametric statistical procedure, to assess the relative performance of RMFs for the years 1997¡V2001. DEA is a procedure that tests whether decision-making units are operating on their efficient frontier, which requires minimum input usage for a given level of output, or vice versa. We find seven RMFs for 1997, three for 1998, three for 1999, four for 2000, and six for 2001 operating on the efficient frontier. Another result that we obtain is that by examining the mean inefficiencies of the input and output values, we determine the main sources of RMF inefficiency.
Volume (Year): 3 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Murthi, B. P. S. & Choi, Yoon K. & Desai, Preyas, 1997. "Efficiency of mutual funds and portfolio performance measurement: A non-parametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 408-418, April.
- Malhotra, D K & McLeod, Robert W, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-190, Summer.
- D. K. Malhotra & Robert W. McLeod, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis Of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-190, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:3:y:2004:i:3:p:225-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.