Equidad en el Acceso, Desigualdad y Utilización de los Servicios de Salud. Una Aplicación al Caso Argentino en 2001
In this study the main recent methodological and empirical approaches to quantify income-related inequality in the utilization of health care are reviewed. By using data from the Survey of Living Conditions conducted in Argentina in 2001, concentration indices for visits to health professionals are computed, which are then decomposed in order to identify the causes of inequality. In addition, a measurement of horizontal inequity indices is obtained. It is concluded that the utilization of health care in Argentina is concentrated in the most favoured individuals and that inequality is due in large extent to the influence of non-need variables such as the per capita household income, schooling, having health coverage and the place of residence among others.
Volume (Year): XLVII (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Valparaíso s/n - Ciudad Universitaria - (5000) - Córdoba|
Phone: 54 0351 4437300 int 253
Fax: 54 351 433 4436
Web page: http://ief.eco.unc.edu.ar/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xander Koolman & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2004. "On the interpretation of a concentration index of inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 649-656.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen Oâ€™ Donnell, 2010.
"Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings,"
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & O'Donnell, Owen, 2008. "Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings," Working Paper Series DP2008/04, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wagstaff, Adam & Paci, Pierella & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1991. "On the measurement of inequalities in health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 545-557, January.
- Morris, Stephen & Sutton, Matthew & Gravelle, Hugh, 2005. "Inequity and inequality in the use of health care in England: an empirical investigation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 1251-1266, March.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2005. "The bounds of the concentration index when the variable of interest is binary, with an application to immunization inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 429-432.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ief:reveye:v:47:y:2009:i:1:p:125-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcelo Coser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.