La calidad del gasto público y su influencia en el desarrollo económico: una validación empírica para los países de la OCDE 1970-2005
The assessment on the relevance of public spending on economic growth has deserved an important attention in the economic literature. However its empirical approach by testing the effects by an aggregate production function may mislead the results since the composition of public expenditure, more than its level, is crucial. In this paper, after surveying of the current state of affairs on the topic, we estimate for the OECD countries, and a period which extends from 1970 to 2005, a panel data regression on the level of growth and its rate, and on some proxy for the income inequality. We take as regressors the detailed composition of public expenditure according to functional categories (health, education, economic services…) and its economic classification (public consumption versus transfers –as a proxy of in-kind versus money transfers–; public production –chapter 1– against purchases and contracting out –chapter 2–, current versus capital expenditure).
Volume (Year): 193 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Vinaya Swaroop & Heng-fu Zou, 1996.
"The composition of public expenditure and economic growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
77, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Heng-fu, Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 313-344, April.
- Afonso, António & Ebert, Werner & Schuknecht, Ludger & Thöne, Michael, 2005. "Quality of public finances and growth," Working Paper Series 0438, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2006.
"Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets,"
Working Paper Series
0581, European Central Bank.
- Antonio Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010. "Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2147-2164.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2006. "Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence for New EU Member States and Emerging Markets," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/01, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Baldacci, Emanuele & Mulas-Granados, Carlos, 2005. "Fiscal policy, expenditure composition, and growth in low-income countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 441-463, April.
- Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 171-190, November.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Fiscal policy and economic growth: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 417-458, December.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Easterly & Sergio Rebelo, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ivan Tchakarov & Roland Straub, 2007.
"Assessing the Impact of a Change in the Composition of Public Spending; A DSGE Approach,"
IMF Working Papers
07/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Straub, Roland & Tchakarov, Ivan, 2007. "Assessing the impact of a change in the composition of public spending: a DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 0795, European Central Bank.
- De Ávila, Diego Romero & Strauch, Rolf, 2003. "Public finances and long-term growth in Europe - evidence from a panel data analysis," Working Paper Series 0246, European Central Bank.
- Martin Zagler & Georg Dürnecker, 2003. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 397-418, 07.
- Karl Aiginger & Martin Falk, 2005. "Explaining Differences in Economic Growth among OECD Countries," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 19-43, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2010:v:193:i:2:p:9-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.