Effective Tax rates and Fiscal Convergence in the OECD: 1965-2001
In this work we elaborate a data base that includes 21 OECD countries along the 1965-2001 period. It includes average effective tax rates on consumption, capital and labour, which are adequate to analyse macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy. Additionally, we make a description of the most important features of fiscal structures in OECD countries along the last decades. Thus, we find that the ratio of fiscal revenues to GDP has steadily increased in these countries, mainly due to the increase of taxation on labour earnings. This increase in fiscal revenues has gone together with a process of convergence across countries both in the level of fiscal revenues, as in labour and capital tax rates. However, consumption tax rates, which have not been converging across OECD countries, present a clear convergence pattern across European countries since the beginning of the eighties.
Volume (Year): 174 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Carey & Josette Rabesona, 2002. "Tax Ratios on Labour and Capital Income and on Consumption," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(2), pages 129-174.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick K. Asea & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1995.
"Do Taxes Matter for Long-Run Growth? Harberger's Superneutrality Conjecture,"
IMF Working Papers
95/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Patrick K. Asea, 1995. "Do taxes matter for long-run growth?: Harberger's superneutrality conjecture," International Finance Discussion Papers 511, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rafael Doménech & José Ramón García, 2001. "Estructura fiscal y crecimiento económico en la OCDE," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 25(3), pages 441-472, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992.
"A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991. "A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 609, The World Bank.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1983.
"Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax,"
3451293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J & Sahasakul, Chaipat, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(4), pages 419-52, October.
- Robert J. Barro & Chaipat Sahasakul, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," NBER Working Papers 1060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro & Chaipat Sahasakul, 1983. "Measuring the Average Marginal Tax Rate from the Individual Income Tax," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 26, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1992.
"Marginal income tax rates and economic growth in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1050, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993. "Marginal income tax rates and economic growth in developing countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 409-417, April.
- Nerlove, Marc & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & von Weizsacker, Robert K., 1993. "Comprehensive income taxation, investments in human and physical capital, and productivity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 397-406, March.
- Kormendi, Roger C. & Meguire, Philip G., 1985. "Macroeconomic determinants of growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 141-163, September.
- Paul Cashin, 1995.
"Government Spending, Taxes, and Economic Growth,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 237-269, June.
- King, R.G. & Baxter, M., 1990.
"Fiscal Policy In General Equilibrium,"
RCER Working Papers
244, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Padrini, Flavio, 2001. " Distortionary Taxation and Labour Market Performance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 173-96, May.
- David Carey & Harry Tchilinguirian, 2000. "Average Effective Tax Rates on Capital, Labour and Consumption," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 258, OECD Publishing.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Supply-Side Economics: An Analytical Review," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 171-190, November.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Nouriel Roubini, 1996. "Optimal Government Spending and Taxation in Endgenous Growth Models," NBER Working Papers 5851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krusell, Per & Quadrini, Vincenzo & Rios-Rull, Jose-Victor, 1996. "Are consumption taxes really better than income taxes?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 475-503, June.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2005:v:174:i:3:p:119-141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.