Evaluation of the Efficiency of Low Carbon Industrialization in Cultural and Natural Heritage: Taking Leshan as an Example
This paper concentrates on the evaluation of the efficiency of low carbon industrialization in the tourism sector. Combining the general indices of the regional industrialization with the specific characteristics of low carbon development in the tourism sector, a comprehensive index system is scientifically designed. Due to the complexity of the index system and the tight correlation among some indices, rough set theory (RST) is applied to reduce the dimensions of the index system and delete some overlapped information. Then, the data envelopment analysis (DEA) is used to evaluate the efficiency of low carbon industrialization in every year, in order to investigate the development of regional economy, where the year is considered as the Decision-Making Unit (DMU). Furthermore, the super efficiency value of each DMU is calculated to compare the level of low carbon industrialization in each year. Finally, Leshan city, which is a typical representative of a World Cultural and Natural region in China, is considered as a practical application to show the effectiveness of the proposed model. Then, some valuable suggestions are given to help decision makers improve regional development.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumar Mandal, Sabuj & Madheswaran, S., 2010. "Causality between energy consumption and output growth in the Indian cement industry: An application of the panel vector error correction model (VECM)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6560-6565, November.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996.
"Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995. "Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Fecher, F. & Kessler, D. & Perelman, S. & Pestieau, P., 1991.
"Productive performance of the french insurance industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- F. Fecher & D. Kessler & S. Perelman & P. Pestieau, 1993. "Productive performance of the French insurance industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-93, June.
- Fecher, F. & Kessler, D. & Perelman, S. & Pestieau, P., . "Productive performance of the French insurance industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 2010.
"China in the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
109, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Bell, Martin & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E., 1984. "Assessing the performance of infant industries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 101-128.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Sabuj Kumar Mandal & S Madheswaran, 2009.
"Environmental Efficiency of the Indian Cement Industry: An Interstate Analysis,"
227, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Kumar Mandal, Sabuj & Madheswaran, S., 2010. "Environmental efficiency of the Indian cement industry: An interstate analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1108-1118, February.
- Tay, Francis E. H. & Shen, Lixiang, 2002. "Economic and financial prediction using rough sets model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(3), pages 641-659, September.
- Mukherjee, Kankana, 2010. "Measuring energy efficiency in the context of an emerging economy: The case of indian manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 933-941, March.
- Pawlak, Zdzisaw & Sowinski, Roman, 1994. "Rough set approach to multi-attribute decision analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 443-459, February.
- Zhu, Joe, 2001. "Super-efficiency and DEA sensitivity analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 443-455, March.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1972. "Control Areas and Accounting Prices: An Approach to Economic Evaluation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 486-501, Supplemen.
- Mandal, Sabuj Kumar, 2010. "Do undesirable output and environmental regulation matter in energy efficiency analysis? Evidence from Indian Cement Industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6076-6083, October.
- Asmild, Mette & Paradi, Joseph C. & Reese, David N. & Tam, Fai, 2007. "Measuring overall efficiency and effectiveness using DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 305-321, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:6:y:2014:i:6:p:3825-3842:d:37086. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.