Productive performance of the french insurance industry
The purpose of this paper is to provide for both life and non-life insurance an assessment of the relative productive performance of French companies. We use parametric and nonparametric approaches to construct a frontier to be used as a yardstick of productive efficiency. Our data basis covers 84 life and 243 non-life companies for the period 1984–1989. The main findings show a high correlation between parametric and nonparametric results and a wide dispersion in the rates of inefficiency across companies. This dispersion can be reduced when controlling for variations in scale, ownership, distribution, reinsurance, and claims ratios. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- C D O'Brien, 1991. "Measuring the Output of Life Assurance Companies*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(2), pages 207-235, April.
- Hirshhorn, Ron & Geehan, Randall, 1977. "Measuring the Real Output of the Life Insurance Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(2), pages 211-19, May.
- Elizabeth Kremp & Jacques Mairesse, 1992.
"Dispersion and Heterogeneity of Firm Performances in Nine French Service Industries, 1984-1987,"
in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 461-489
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elizabeth Kremp & Jacques Mairesse, 1991. "Dispersion and Heterogeneity of Firm Performances in Nine French Service Industries, 1984-1987," NBER Working Papers 3665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1991025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.