On the Non-Compliance in the North Sea Cod Stock
This paper estimates the economic value of the North Sea cod ( Gadus morhua ) stock under recent catch and several recovery scenarios. The research presents results on: a) what the value of catches and biomass would have been if the EU fishing fleet had followed the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea scientific recommendations (SRs) and Total Allowable Catches (TACs) in the 1986–2010 period; and b) what the value of catches and biomass will be for the 2010–2022 period if the fleet follows the current Common Fisheries Policy Reform (CFPR). Results show that the actual economic value of the stock for the 1986–2010 period has been US$7 billion, which is substantially lower than what would have been predicted had the industry followed the SRs (US$20.7 billion) or approved TACs (US$19.5 billion). Similarly, if catches do not follow the SRs or the approved TACs for the 2010–2022 period the estimated economic value of the stock is predicted to be lower than if they had done so. Further, the losses of non-compliance increase even when a scenario of 50% reduction of discards under the new CFPR is considered. We also show that the status of the stock is strongly dependent on the trade-offs generated by both the non-compliance of scientific recommendations and by the short-term economic incentives of the fishing industry. With most fishery resources fully exploited or overexploited in Europe, opportunities for development lie primarily in restoring depleted stocks and catching fish more efficiently, as is the case of the North Sea cod stock.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schrank, William E., 2005. "The Newfoundland fishery: ten years after the moratorium," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 407-420, September.
- Colin W. Clark & Gordon R. Munro & U. Rashid Sumaila, 2010. "Limits to the Privatization of Fishery Resources," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 86(2), pages 209-218.
- Kraak, Sarah B.M. & Bailey, Nick & Cardinale, Massimiliano & Darby, Chris & De Oliveira, José A.A. & Eero, Margit & Graham, Norman & Holmes, Steven & Jakobsen, Tore & Kempf, Alexander & Kirkegaard, Es, 2013. "Lessons for fisheries management from the EU cod recovery plan," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 200-213.
- Eero, Margit & Köster, Friedrich W. & Vinther, Morten, 2012. "Why is the Eastern Baltic cod recovering?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 235-240, January.
- Diekert, Florian K. & Hjermann, Dag Ø. & Nævdal, Eric & Stenseth, Nils Chr., 2010. "Non-cooperative exploitation of multi-cohort fisheries--The role of gear selectivity in the North-East Arctic cod fishery," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 78-92, January.
- Standal, Dag & Bouwer Utne, Ingrid, 2007. "Can cod farming affect cod fishing? A system evaluation of sustainability," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 527-534, July.
- Villasante, Sebastián, 2012. "The management of the blue whiting fishery as complex social-ecological system: The Galician case," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1301-1308.
- Davies, R.W.D. & Rangeley, R., 2010. "Banking on cod: Exploring economic incentives for recovering Grand Banks and North Sea cod fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 92-98, January.
- Khalilian, Setareh & Froese, Rainer & Proelss, Alexander & Requate, Till, 2010. "Designed for failure: A critique of the Common Fisheries Policy of the European Union," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1178-1182, November.
- Da Rocha, José-María & Cerviño, Santiago & Villasante, Sebastian, 2012. "The Common Fisheries Policy: An enforcement problem," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1309-1314.
- Sterner, Thomas, 2007. "Unobserved diversity, depletion and irreversibility The importance of subpopulations for management of cod stocks," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 566-574, March.
- Villasante, Sebastian & Sumaila, Ussif Rashid, 2010. "Estimating the effects of technological efficiency on the European fishing fleet," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 720-722, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:5:y:2013:i:5:p:1974-1993:d:25429. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.