Pay,Risk,and Productivity.The Case of Finland,1980 -1996
This paper reports on four topics. To what extent are piece-rate systems used among manufacturing workers in Finland? What is the effect on the average pay level of using piece- versus time-rate systems? How much wage risk is associated with a piece-rate system? How much of the pay differential between pieceand time-rate workers is compensation for extra effort and how much is compensation for bearing additional risk? Have these relations changed over time? We have access to unique individual-level data on payment systems from several thousand establishments and more than a quarter of a million individuals in the Finnish private sector
Volume (Year): 15 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1987.
"Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 303-28, March.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Paul R. Milgrom, 1985. "Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 742, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"The Governance of the New Enterprise,"
CRSP working papers
487, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1996.
"Performance Pay and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
5672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Parent, 1999.
"Methods of pay and earnings: A longitudinal analysis,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 71-86, October.
- Daniel Parent, 1999. "Methods of Pay and Earnings: A Longitudinal Analysis," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 71-86, October.
- Daniel Parent, 1997. "Methods of Pay and Earnings: A Longitudinal Analysis," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-14, CIRANO.
- Seiler, Eric, 1984. "Piece Rate vs. Time Rate: The Effect of Incentives on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 363-76, August.
- Petersen, Trond, 1991. "Reward Systems and the Distribution of Wages," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 130-58, Special I.
- Rita Asplund,, . "Essays on Human Capital and Earnings in Finland," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 18, March-Apr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:15:y:2002:i:1:p:3-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.