On the interdependence of Finnish and Swedish newsprint prices
This study explores the interdependence of Finnish and Swedish newsprint prices. Since newsprint represents a very homogenous product, the law of one price (LOP) is assumed to hold between the Finnish and the Swedish common currency newsprint prices in the long run. The results support the LOP hypothesis, and the Swedish prices are found to be weakly exogenous, implying that the Finnish prices follow fundamentally the Swedish ones in the long run. Moreover, deviations from the LOP are found to be economically relatively small and short-lived.
Volume (Year): 14 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel, 1999.
"Local-Currency Pricing and the Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime,"
0036, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Engel, Charles, 2000. "Local-currency pricing and the choice of exchange-rate regime," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1449-1472, August.
- Charles Engel, 1999. "Local-Currency Pricing and the Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0036, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Ericsson, Neil R & Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1998.
"Exogeneity, Cointegration, and Economic Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 370-87, October.
- Neil R. Ericsson & David F. Hendry & Grayham E. Mizon, 1998. "Exogeneity, cointegration, and economic policy analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 616, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1988.
"Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
866R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1989.
- Podivinsky, Jan M., 1992. "Small sample properties of tests of linear restrictions on cointegrating vectors and their weights," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 13-18, May.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juuso Vataja, 2000. "Should the Law of One Price be Pushed Away? Evidence from International Commodity Markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 399-415, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Richardson, J. David, 1978. "Some empirical evidence on commodity arbitrage and the law of one price," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 341-351, May.
- Ceglowski, Janet, 1994. "The Law of One Price Revisited: New Evidence on the Behavior of International Prices," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(3), pages 407-18, July.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David, 1994. "Purchasing power parity yet again: evidence from spatially separated commodity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 637-657, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, . "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," Working Paper 32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Isard, Peter, 1977. "How Far Can We Push the "Law of One Price"?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 942-48, December.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Rtta Hanninen & Anne Toppinen, 1999. "Long-run price effects of exchange rate changes in Finnish pulp and paper exports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 947-956.
- Hali J. Edison & Joseph E. Gagnon & William R. Melick, 1994.
"Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
465, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Melick, William R., 1997. "Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:14:y:2001:i:2:p:120-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.