Productivity, Infrastructures and Convergence: Panel Data Evidence on Italian Regions
Productivity, Infrastructures and Convergence: Panel Data Evidence on Italian Regions Department of Statistics and Mathematics for Economic Research University of Naples Parthenope* Abstract The paper first employs the Growth Accounting methodology in order to calculate the annual levels of Total Factor Productivity (TFP) in Italian regions for the period 1970-2001. The main result of this initial analysis is that the well-known gap in labour productivity among Italian regions depends mostly on the differences in TFP. The paper then investigates on the presence (or absence) of regional convergence in TFP over the period considered. To this end, physical and social infrastructures are taken into account as factors that influence the process of convergence. Finally, the paper finds a significant effect of both types of infrastructure on regional convergence in TFP, which is estimated to occur over the whole time period at the rate of 11%. Keywords: Total Factor Productivity, Infrastructures, Regional Convergence JEL classification: O47, R11, C23
Volume (Year): 2008/2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=103|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gittleman, M. & Ten Raa, T. & Wolff, E.N., 2003.
"The Vintage Effect in TPF-Growth : An Analysis of the Age Structure of Capital,"
2003-109, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gittleman, Maury & ten Raa, Thijs & Wolff, Edward N., 2006. "The vintage effect in TFP-growth: An analysis of the age structure of capital," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 306-328, September.
- Maury Gittleman & Thijs ten Raa & Edward N. Wolff, 2003. "The Vintage Effect in TFP Growth: An Analysis of the Age Structure of Capital," NBER Working Papers 9768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gittleman, M. & Ten Raa, T. & Wolff, E.N., 2006. "The vintage effect in TFP-growth : An analysis of the age structure of capital," Other publications TiSEM d4a2b5e2-1ca1-421c-83d0-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Thijs ten Raa & Ed Wolff, 2003. "The vintage effect in TFP-growth: An analysis of the age structure of capital," ERSA conference papers ersa03p11, European Regional Science Association.
- Adriana Di Liberto & Roberto Mura & Francesco Pigliaru, 2005.
"How to Measure the Unobservable: A Panel Technique for the Analysis of TFP Convergence,"
2005.16, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Adriana Di Liberto & Francesco Pigliaru & Roberto Mura, 2008. "How to measure the unobservable: a panel technique for the analysis of TFP convergence," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(2), pages 343-368, April.
- A. Di Liberto & F. Pigliaru & R. Mura, 2004. "How to measure the unobservable: a panel technique for the analysis of TFP convergence," Working Paper CRENoS 200405, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Morrison, Catherine J & Schwartz, Amy Ellen, 1996.
"State Infrastructure and Productive Performance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1095-1111, December.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 1998. "Dynamics of Regional Growth in Europe: Social and Political Factors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233831, March.
- Eliana La Ferrara & Massimiliano Marcellino, . "TFP, Costs, and Public Infrastructure: An Equivocal Relationship," Working Papers 176, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2005. "Public capital and total factor productivity: New evidence from the Italian regions, 1970-98," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 603-617.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Paci & R. Pala & E. Marrocu, 2000. "Estimation of total factor productivity for regions and sectors in Italy. A panel cointegration approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200016, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192963 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberto Cellini & Antonello Scorcu, 1995. "How many Italies?," Working Papers 215, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Sergio Destefanis, 2001. "Differenziali Territoriali di Produttivita' ed Efficienza negli Anni '90: i Livelli e l'Andamento," CELPE Discussion Papers 59, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Guido Ascari & Valeria di Cosmo, 2005.
"Determinants of total factor productivity in the italian Regions,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(2).
- Guido Ascari & Valeria Di Cosmo, 2005. "Determinants of Total Factor Productivity in the Italian Regions," Macroeconomics 0511009, EconWPA.
- Camilla Mastromarco & Ulrich Woitek, 2006. "Public Infrastructure Investment and Efficiency in Italian Regions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 57-65, 04.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Aiello, Francesco & Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2008. "Convergence and Regional Productivity Divide in Italy: Evidence from Panel Data," MPRA Paper 17343, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Patrizia Margani & Roberto Ricciuti, 2001. "Further Evidence on Convergence across Italian Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa01p104, European Regional Science Association.
- Francesco Aiello & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2000. "Uneven Regional Development in Italy: Explaining Differences in Productivity Levels," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 59(2), pages 270-298, September.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giorgio Nuzzo, 2006. "Explaining labour productivity differentials across Italian regions: the role of socio-economic structure and factor endowments," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 299-320, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:scresc:v:html10.3280/scre2008-002001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.