The long and short run forcing variables of purchasing power parity of ASEAN-5
This study examines the long-run and short-run forcing variables of purchasing power parity (PPP) for ASEAN-5 currencies vis-a-vis the U.S. dollar, i.e., their real effective exchange rate (REER). This study uses the autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) approach to co-integration over the period 1991:Q1 – 2006:Q2. Our empirical results suggest that the domestic money supply (M1) is a significant long run forcing variable for the REERs of Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Singapore. However, the results suggest that the foreign interest rate (R*) is a long run forcing variable for Thailand’s REER. The findings can derive policy implication for the monetary authorities in these ASEAN-5 countries.
Volume (Year): 4 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alain P. Chaboud & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Uncovered interest parity: it works, but not for long,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
752, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chaboud, Alain P. & Wright, Jonathan H., 2005. "Uncovered interest parity: it works, but not for long," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 349-362, July.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Ricci, 2001.
"PPP and the Balassa Samuelson Effect: the Role of the Distribution Sector,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
442, CESifo Group Munich.
- R. Macdonald & L. Ricci, 2003. "PPP and the Balassa Samuelson Effect: The Role of the DistributionSector," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 81, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- Hilde Christiane Bjørnland & Håvard Hungnes, 2002.
"Fundamental determinants of the long run real exchange rate: The case of Norway,"
326, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Hungnes, Håvard, 2003. "Fundamental determinants of the long run real exchange rate: The case of Norway," Memorandum 23/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Raymond Chi Wing Ng, 2002. "Long-Run Demand for Money in Hong Kong: An Application of the ARDL Model," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 147-155, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
NBER Working Papers
4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
113, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Angelos Kanas, 1997. "The monetary exchange rate model within the ERM: cointegration tests and implications concerning the German dominance hypothesis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 587-598.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2002. "Testing the monetary model of exchange rate determination: new evidence from a century of data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 359-385, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Michele Cavallo & Fabio Ghironi, 2000.
"Net Foreign Assets and the Exchange Rate: Redux Revived,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
505, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Feb 2002.
- Cavallo, Michele & Ghironi, Fabio, 2002. "Net foreign assets and the exchange rate: Redux revived," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1057-1097, July.
- J.J.J. Groen & F. Kleibergen, 2001.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error Correction Models,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
646, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Groen, Jan J J & Kleibergen, Frank, 2003. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error-Correction Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 295-318, April.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Meese, Richard A., 1995. "Banking on currency forecasts: How predictable is change in money?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 161-178, February.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 1992.
"Yen bloc or dollar bloc: exchange rate policies of the East Asian economies,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 1994. "Yen Bloc or Dollar Bloc? Exchange Rate Policies of the East Asian Economies," NBER Chapters, in: Macroeconomic Linkage: Savings, Exchange Rates, and Capital Flows, NBER-EASE Volume 3, pages 295-333 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, S.J. & Frankel, J.A., 1992. "Yen Bloc or Dollar Bloc: Exchange Rate Policies of the East Asian Economies," Papers 92-08, University of Birmingham - International Financial Group.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Sideris, Dimitris A. & Voumvaki, Fragiska K., 2005.
"Testing long-run purchasing power parity under exchange rate targeting,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 959-981, October.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Dimitris A. Sideris & Fragiska K. Voumvaki, 2004. "Testing Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity under Exchange Rate Targeting," Working Papers 15, Bank of Greece.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Antonio Garcia Pascual & Menzie David Chinn, 2004. "Empirical Exchange Rate Models of the Nineties; Are Any Fit to Survive?," IMF Working Papers 04/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kalyvitis, Sarantis & Pittis, Nikitas, 2001. "Testing for PPP and UIP in an FIML framework: Some evidence for Germany and Japan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 637-650, August.
- Husted, Steven & MacDonald, Ronald, 1998. "Monetary-based models of the exchange rate: a panel perspective," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2002.
"A Century Of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 139-150, February.
- Baillie,Richard T. & McMahon,Patrick C., 1990. "The Foreign Exchange Market," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396905.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2001. "PPP and the Balassa Samuelson Effect; The Role of the Distribution Sector," IMF Working Papers 01/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Tao Wang, 2004. "China; Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations," IMF Working Papers 04/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Bill Francis & Iftekhar Hasan & James Lothian, 2001. "The monetary approach to exchange rates and the behaviour of the Canadian dollar over the long run," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 475-481.
- Salehizadeh, Mehdi & Taylor, Robert, 1999. "A test of purchasing power parity for emerging economies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-193, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:etr:series:v:4:y:2013:i:3:p:066-081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrew Godwin)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.