Under Stress: Europeanisation and Trade Associations in the Members States
Until today, it is relatively disputed how European integration impacts on domestic associations and the patterns of public-private interactions at the national level. While some predict a withering away of national corporatisms, others predict they would be reinforced. By making organization theory available to institution-theoretical approaches, the paper offers a conceptual means that makes it possible to present an encompassing and theory-guided picture of the impact of European integration on societal structures in the member states. Associations - in the presented cases, business associations of the transport sector in Germany and the Netherlands -, as intermediate organisations operate at the interface between private and public actors and incorporate the dynamics of their political and economic environments in both structural and strategic terms. It is argued that the way in which the configuration of associations within a sector changes in the course of European integration relates to efforts at this intermediate level to maintain or increase its relative autonomy from both its constituencies and its interlocutors.
Volume (Year): 4 (2000)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.wu-wien.ac.at/ecsa/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://eiop.or.at/eiop/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourevitch, Peter, 1978. "The second image reversed: the international sources of domestic politics," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 881-912, September.
- Corbey, Dorette, 1995. "Dialectical functionalism: stagnation as a booster of European integration," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(02), pages 253-284, March.
- Robert Ladrech, 1994. "Europeanization of Domestic Politics and Institutions: The Case of France," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 69-88, 03.
- Radealli, Claudio M., 2000. "Whither Europeanization? Concept stretching and substantive change," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 4, 07.
- Börzel, Tanja A.; Risse, Thomas, 2000. "When Europe Hits Home: Europeanization and Domestic Change," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 4, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:eiopxx:p0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Assistant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.