CSR activities in award-winning Thai companies
Purpose – This case-study research aims to examine best CSR practices in four Thai companies that were given CSR awards. The purpose is to report on best practices in CSR in Thailand. Design/methodology/approach – Four Thai companies that received the best CSR awards from the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) in 2006 were selected. The data were collected through a questionnaire, interviews, and company documents and web sites. Findings – CSR activities in the top Thai companies were based on moral or altruistic motivations with a focus on both production-process and philanthropic outcomes. The driving forces behind CSR activities in these companies were CEO leadership, company performance, and stakeholders' expectations. Their CSR framework followed the stakeholders' model and issues management which arranged CSR activities into five main categories: education, arts and culture, sports, environment, and public welfare. Critical issues in managing CSR activities were selection of appropriate CSR activity, participation by people in communities affected by the CSR activity, gaining shareholders' support and understanding, and appropriate CSR evaluation methods. Research limitations/implications – The research studied only four companies in Thailand. This may limit generalizations and may provide only a foundation for further research rather than definitive conclusions. Originality/value – The findings of the research may be useful for: companies in Thailand or in other countries which are considering adopting CSR activities appropriate to their environment; researchers who might utilize the findings for furthering their CSR work; and indicating the contribution and the valuable role of both local and international CSR institutes and networks.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/srj.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Branco & LÃºcia Rodrigues, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Resource-Based Perspectives," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 111-132, December.
- Laura Hartman & Robert Rubin & K. Dhanda, 2007. "The Communication of Corporate Social Responsibility: United States and European Union Multinational Corporations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 74(4), pages 373-389, September.
- David A Waldman & Mary Sully de Luque & Nathan Washburn & Robert J House & Bolanle Adetoun & Angel Barrasa & Mariya Bobina & Muzaffer Bodur & Yi-Jung Chen & Sukhendu Debbarma & Peter Dorfman & Rosemar, 2006. "Cultural and leadership predictors of corporate social responsibility values of top management: a GLOBE study of 15 countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 823-837, November.
- Ron Bird & Anthony D. Hall & Francesco MomentÃ¨ & Francesco Reggiani, 2007. "What Corporate Social Responsibility Activities are Valued by the Market?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 76(2), pages 189-206, December.
- Nelarine Cornelius & Mathew Todres & Shaheena Janjuha-Jivraj & Adrian Woods & James Wallace, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility and the Social Enterprise," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 355-370, August.
- Ven van de, B. & Graafland, J.J., 2006. "Strategic and moral motivation for corporate social responsibility," MPRA Paper 20278, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2006," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 62 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 8.
- Po-Keung Ip, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Crony Capitalism in Taiwan," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 167-177, April.
- World Bank, 2007. "The World Bank Annual Report 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7534, August.
- Dilek Cetindamar, 2007. "Corporate Social Responsibility Practices and Environmentally Responsible Behavior: The Case of The United Nations Global Compact," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 76(2), pages 163-176, December.
- Bryan W Husted & David B Allen, 2006. "Corporate social responsibility in the multinational enterprise: strategic and institutional approaches," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 838-849, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:srjpps:v:5:y:2009:i:2:p:178-199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katie Frudd)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.