The Egyptian tax system reforms, investment and tax evasion (2004-2008)
Purpose - This study aims to evaluate effects of tax system reforms on tax obstacles to investment in Egypt and tax evasion. It also aims to analyze differences in burden of tax obstacles and extent of tax evasion among different types of enterprises after applying tax reforms. Design/methodology/approach - The study uses data from Productivity and Investment Climate Surveys 2004 and 2008. A number of indices are constructed to measure incidence and severity of tax obstacles. Two indicators are constructed to estimate incidence and extent of tax evasion. The study adopts a descriptive analytical comparative approach to evaluate changes and differences in severity of tax obstacles, and their effects. Findings - The results obtained show that tax reforms have resulted in a significant decrease in severity of tax obstacles. However, they are still major obstacles. The overall decrease hides differences in the burden of these obstacles. Reforms were not enough to address needs of small enterprises. The extent of tax evasion decreased. However, it is still a problem as tax obstacles are still major obstacles. Research limitations/implications - There is a need for more detailed data about problems enterprises face in each phase of interaction with tax administrators and managers’ suggested solutions. Originality/value - The study evaluates the actual effects of a major economic reform, on the microeconomic level during an important period rather than exploring enterprises’ expectations. The results show that there is a need for more reforms targeting small enterprises.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/jeas.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haidar, Jamal Ibrahim, 2012.
"The impact of business regulatory reforms on economic growth,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 285-307.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, "undated". "The Impact of Business Regulatory Reforms on Economic Growth," Working Paper 305086, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012. "The Impact of Business Regulatory Reforms on Economic Growth," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12044, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012. "The Impact of Business Regulatory Reforms on Economic Growth," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00966139, HAL.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012. "The impact of Business Regulatory Reforms on Economic Growth," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00717423, HAL.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 31-64, July.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2008. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," NBER Working Papers 13756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rmalho, Rita & Ganser, Tim Christian & Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Djankov, Simeon, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," Scholarly Articles 8705900, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Szarowska, Irena, 2009. "Tax burden and competition in the European Union – Does it change?," MPRA Paper 19934, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander D Klemm & Dennis P Botman & Reza Baqir, 2008. "Investment Incentives and Effective Tax Rates in the Philippines; A Comparison With Neighboring Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/207, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:jeaspp:v:28:y:2012:i:1:p:53-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.