Human resource management in entrepreneurial firms: a literature review Purpose – This paper seeks to review the literature on human resource management (HRM) in entrepreneurial firms. Given the importance of human resource management for entrepreneurship, the purpose of this paper is to determine how far this line of research has progressed and what areas are still pending study. Design/methodology/approach – The paper has a three-part structure. First, the paper describes the published works. Second, it examines the topics dealt with in the literature. Third, the review identifies the limitations of the literature and outlines future lines of research for this field. Findings – Most papers that deal with HRM and entrepreneurship together are empirical and have been published since 2000. Comprehensive and rigorous theoretical models that relate both areas do not exist. Originality/value – The paper helps scholars orient their research in human resource management in entrepreneurial firms by providing them with a better understanding of the direction in which the field is going and what gaps remain
No abstract is available for this item.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/ijm.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alina Ileana Petrescu & Rob Simmons, 2008. "Human resource management practices and workers' job satisfaction," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(7), pages 651-667, November.
- Sandra King-Kauanui & Su Dang Ngoc & Catherine Ashley-Cotleur, 2006. "Impact Of Human Resource Management: Sme Performance In Vietnam," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(01), pages 79-95.
- Chien-Huang Lin & Ching-Huai Peng & Danny T. Kao, 2008. "The innovativeness effect of market orientation and learning orientation on business performance," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(8), pages 752-772, November.
- Domingo Verano-Tacoronte & Santiago Melián-González, 2008. "Human resources control systems and performance: the role of uncertainty and risk propensity," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 161-187, May.
- McKendall, Marie A. & Margulis, Stephen T., 1995. "People and their organizations: Rethinking the assumptions," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 21-28.
- Leung, Aegean & Zhang, Jing & Wong, Poh Kam & Foo, Maw Der, 2006. "The use of networks in human resource acquisition for entrepreneurial firms: Multiple "fit" considerations," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 664-686, September.
- Veneta Andonova & Hernando Zuleta, 2007. "The effect of enforcement on human resources practices: A case study in rural Colombia," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 344 - 353, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijmpps:v:32:y:2011:i:1:p:14-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.