Impact of financial liberalization on agricultural growth: a case study of Pakistan
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to develop a financial liberalization index (FLI) and evaluate its impact on agricultural growth. Design/methodology/approach – The study uses the autoregressive distributed lag approach to determine the long run and short coefficients. Findings – The empirical results show that FLI affects agricultural growth positively in the short and the long run; but real interest rate positively affects agricultural growth in the short run and negatively in the long run. Originality/value – While previous research focuses on overall economic growth, this paper evaluates the impact of financial liberalization on the agricultural sector. JEL classification: G20, Q1
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann & Lorenza Martinez, 2004.
"The Positive Link Between Financial Liberalization, Growth and Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
10293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann & Lorenza Martínez, 2004. "The Positive Link Between Financial Liberalization, Growth, and Crises," CESifo Working Paper Series 1164, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann & Lorenza Martinez, 2004. "The Positive Link Between Financial Liberalization Growth and Crises," UCLA Economics Working Papers 834, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ahmed, Abdullahi Dahir., 2007. "Potential impact of financial reforms on savings in Botswana: an empirical analysis using a VECM approach," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 41(1), pages 203-219, September.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
NBER Working Papers
7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Oriana Bandiera & Gerard Caprio Jr. & Patrick Honohan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1998.
"Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Savings?,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
413, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Shrestha, M.B. & Chowdhury, k., 2006. "Financial Liberalization Index for Nepal," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 3(1), pages 41-54.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, 1999. "Financial Liberalization: The Experience of Developing Countries," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 441-457, Fall.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2006.
"Measuring Services Trade Liberalization and Its Impact on Economic Growth: An Illustration,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 64-98.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep & Subramanian, Arvind, 2001. "Measuring services trade liberalization and its impact on economic growth : an illustration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2655, The World Bank.
- Paul Turner, 2006. "Response surfaces for an F-test for cointegration," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 479-482.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Siddiqi, Hammad, 2008. "Information Transmission in Emerging Markets: The Case of a Unique Financing Instrument," MPRA Paper 6714, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levine, Ross, 1999. "Law, Finance, and Economic Growth," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 8-35, January.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Jere R. Behrman & Nancy Birdsall & Gunilla Pettersson, 2009. "Schooling Inequality, Crises, and Financial Liberalization in Latin America," Working Papers 165, Center for Global Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:3:y:2011:i:2:p:191-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.