Financial ratio analysis using ARMS data
Purpose – The purpose of this research is to evaluate the financial performance measures calculated and reported by the Economic Resource Service (ERS) from Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) data. The evaluation includes the calculation method and the underlying assumptions used in obtaining the reported values. Recommendations for improving the information reported are proposed to ERS. Design/methodology/approach – The financial measures calculated and reported are compared with those recommended by the Farm Financial Standards Council (FFSC). The underlying assumptions are identified by analyzing the software code used in calculating the values reported. The values reported by ERS are duplicated and alternative methods for calculating the financial performance measures are considered. The values obtained from the various calculation methods are compared and contrasted. Findings – Recommendations for ERS include: calculate and report the financial measures recommended by FFSC, note values that are imputed, periodically update and validate assumptions used in calculating imputed values, review its policy for flagging estimates as statistically unreliable, report medians and other select percentiles, and consider reporting the percent of farm businesses that have values within critical zones. Originality/value – A total of four methods for calculating financial performance measures are compared and contrasted. These are the aggregate mean, sample mean, sample median, and percentage of farm businesses with values in critical zones.
Volume (Year): 72 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=afr Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashok Mishra & Christine Wilson & Robert Williams, 2009. "Factors affecting financial performance of new and beginning farmers," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(2), pages 160-179, July.
- D'Antoni, Jeremy M. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Chintawar, Sachin, 2009. "Predicting Financial Stress in Young and Beginning Farmers in the United States," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46861, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2010. "An Analysis of the Financial Performance of Beginning Farmers," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61513, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Adhikari, Arun & Mishra, Ashok K. & Chintawar, Sachin, 2009. "Adoption of Technology and Its Impact on Profitability of Young and Beginning Farmers: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46830, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kropp, Jaclyn D. & Katchova, Ani L., 2011.
"The Effects of Direct Payments on Liquidity and Repayment Capacity of Beginning Farmers,"
164516, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Jaclyn D. Kropp & Ani L. Katchova, 2011. "The effects of direct payments on liquidity and repayment capacity of beginning farmers," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(3), pages 347-365, November.
- Chavez, Eddie C. & Dixon, Bruce L. & Ahendsen, Bruce L. & Wailes, Eric J., 2009. "Comparative Financial Characteristics of U.S. Farms by Type, 2005," Staff Papers 55780, University of Arkansas, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:72:y:2012:i:2:p:262-272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.