Degree of monopoly and class struggle: political aspects of Kalecki's pricing and distribution theory
The aim of this paper is to analyse the concept of class struggle in Michal Kalecki's writings. First, his inclusion of trade unions' strength as one of the determining elements of the degree of monopoly is examined, taking into consideration Abba Lerner's formulation of the latter and its development by Kalecki. Then, the limits of this understanding of class struggle are pointed out from the standpoint of Karl Marx's conceptual distinction between labor and labor-power. Finally, a reinterpretation of Kalecki's â€˜Political aspects of full employmentâ€™ is provided, indicating the broader conception of class struggle implicit in this work and its usefulness to a better understanding of capitalâ€“labor conflicts in contemporary capitalism.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaikh, Anwar, 1980. "Marxian Competition versus Perfect Competition: Further Comments on the So-Called Choice of Technique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 75-83, March.
- Eckhard Hein & Artur Tarassow, 2010.
"Distribution, aggregate demand and productivity growth: theory and empirical results for six OECD countries based on a post-Kaleckian model,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 34(4), pages 727-754.
- Eckhard Hein & Artur Tarassow, 2008. "Distribution, aggregate demand and productivity growth - theory and empirical results for six OECD countries based on a Post-Kaleckian model," IMK Working Paper 18-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Jessop, Bob, 1977. "Recent Theories of the Capitalist State," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(4), pages 353-373, December.
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2008. "Distribution and growth reconsidered: empirical results for six OECD countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 479-511, May.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & Robert Stehrer, 2011.
"Goodwin or Kalecki in Demand? Functional Income Distribution and Aggregate Demand in the Short Run,"
Review of Radical Political Economics,
Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 506-522, December.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & Robert Stehrer, 2009. "Goodwin or Kalecki in Demand? Functional Income Distribution and Aggregate Demand in the Short Run," Working Papers wp203, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Peter Kriesler, 1988. "Kalecki’s Pricing Theory Revisited," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 108-130, September.
- Michalis Nikiforos & Duncan K. Foley, 2012. "Distribution And Capacity Utilization: Conceptual Issues And Empirical Evidence," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 200-229, February.
- A. Asimakopulos, 1975. "A Kaleckian Theory of Income Distribution," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 8(3), pages 313-333, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)