The Theoretical Analysis of Income Tax Evasion Revisited
There exists an important puzzle in the income tax evasion literature, that higher tax rates unambiguously encourage tax compliance (Yitzhaki?s (1974) result). In this paper I show that by simply relaxing the assumption that higher tax rates necessarily translate into higher penalty payments at the initial optimum when caught, it is possible to generate rigorously an important extra disincentive to compliance, which is absent from the previous works. It can also be shown that Yitzhaki's (1974) result is a special case of the present formulation.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economicissues.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1987. "On the Excess Burden of Tax Evasion," Public Finance Review, , vol. 15(2), pages 123-137, April.
- Crane, Steven E. & Nourzad, Farrokh, 1990. "Tax Rates and Tax Evasion: Evidence from California Amnesty Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(2), pages 189-99, June.
- Alm, James & Bahl, Roy & Murray, Matthew N., 1993. "Audit selection and income tax underreporting in the tax compliance game," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, October.
- Koskela, Erkki, 1983. "A note on progression, penalty schemes and tax evasion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 127-133, October.
- Pencavel, John H., 1979. "A note on income tax evasion, labor supply, and nonlinear tax schedules," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 115-124, August.
- Cowell,Frank & Gordon,James, 1987.
"Unwillingness to pay: Tax evasion and public good provision,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
142, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Cowell, Frank A. & P.F. Gordon, James, 1988. "Unwillingness to pay : Tax evasion and public good provision," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 305-321, August.
- Yaniv, Gideon, 1999. "Tax Compliance and Advance Tax Payments: A Prospect Theory Analysis," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 4), pages 753-64, December.
- Clotfelter, Charles T, 1983. "Tax Evasion and Tax Rates: An Analysis of Individual Returns," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 363-73, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eis:articl:109gahramanov. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan Wheatley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.