Why Higher Real Wages May Reduce Altruism for the Poor
The non-poor need to have information on the existence and the cause of the plight of the poor for redistribution to be a public good. Since gaining this information takes time, the full price of helping the poor includes both the money cost and the time involved in empathizing. Over the last century, the higher real incomes of the poor have reduced the manifestations of poverty. When poverty is less obvious, the non-poor are not as aware of poverty. This article also discusses when redistribution is most likely to be a public good.
Volume (Year): 28 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menchik, Paul L. & Weisbrod, Burton A., 1987. "Volunteer labor supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 159-183, March.
- Browning, Edgar K & Johnson, William R, 1984. "The Trade-Off between Equality and Efficiency," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 175-203, April.
- Orr, Larry L, 1976. "Income Transfers as a Public Good: An Application to AFDC," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 359-71, June.
- Horowitz, John B & Bohanon, Cecil E, 1996. " Income Redistribution: An International Perspective," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 89(3-4), pages 305-23, December.
- Brown, Charles C. & Oates, Wallace E., 1987.
"Assistance to the poor in a federal system,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 307-330, April.
- Christopher B. Colburn & John B. Horowitz, 1998. "Efficiency Costs and the Demand for Income Redistribution," Public Finance Review, , vol. 26(3), pages 214-230, May.
- Hochman, Harold M & Rodgers, James D, 1969. "Pareto Optimal Redistribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 542-57, Part I Se.
- Andreoni, James, 1990. "Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 464-77, June.
- Breit, William & Horowitz, John B, 1995. " Discrimination and Diversity: Market and Non-market Settings," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 84(1-2), pages 63-75, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:28:y:2002:i:3:p:351-362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.