Government Policy toward MNEs in the Presence of Foreign Exchange Scarcity
While there is a large literature on government policy towards MNEs, the effects of output tradability have not been addressed. In this paper the topic is studied in the context of foreign exchange scarcity and shown to be of crucial importance in determining the effects of government policy toward the MNE. The analysis proceeds by considering two alternative specifications of the output good. In the first case, the output is produced solely for domestic consumption. In the second, the good may be either sold domestically or exported. The effects of government policy in these two scenarios are radically different. These results suggest that the tradability of the output good is part of the explanation of the differing policies adopted by various developing countries towards foreign firms.
Volume (Year): 19 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ramachandran, Rama, 1980. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade and Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 278-90, June.
- Carl Davidson & Steven J. Matusz & Mordechai E. Kreinin, 1985. "Analysis of Performance Standards for Direct Foreign Investments," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 876-90, November.
- Gany, Ira N. & Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis, 1985. "Multinational firms and government policy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 395-399.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982. "Tariff Protection and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 517, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- S. Clemhout & H. Y. Wan, 1970. "Learning-by-Doing and Infant Industry Protection," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(1), pages 33-56.
- Gene M. Grossman & Henrik Horn, 1987.
"Infant-Industry Protection Reconsidered: The Case of Informational Barriers to Entry,"
NBER Working Papers
2159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gene M. Grossman & Henrik Horn, 1988. "Infant-Industry Protection Reconsidered: The Case of Informational Barriers to Entry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(4), pages 767-787.
- Greenaway, David, 1987. "The New Theories of Intra-industry Trade," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 95-120, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:19:y:1993:i:1:p:99-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.