Regional differences in a national culture and their effects on leadership effectiveness: A tale of two neighboring Chinese cities
We argue that regional differences in a large culture influence leadership effectiveness. Studying the differences and their consequences on leader–member exchange (LMX) and the employee performances in two neighboring Chinese cities, our empirical results show significant differences between group supervisors in Hong Kong and those in Shenzhen. Hong Kong supervisors apply the LMX technique more aggressively, and also more successfully than their Shenzhen counterparts in terms of improving employee performance and reducing turnover.
Volume (Year): 48 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C. & Yang, Elena Ai-Yuan & Tsai, William, 1992. "Does culture endure, or is it malleable? Issues for entrepreneurial economic development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 441-458, November.
- Aryee, Samuel & Zhen Xiong Chen, 2006. "Leader-member exchange in a Chinese context: Antecedents, the mediating role of psychological empowerment and outcomes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(7), pages 793-801, July.
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C., 1992. "More like each other than anyone else? A cross-cultural study of entrepreneurial perceptions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 419-429, September.
- Fred Luthans & Dianne H B Welsh & Stuart A Rosenkrantz, 1993. "What Do Russian Managers Really Do? An Observational Study with Comparisons to U.S. Managers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(4), pages 741-761, December.
- Y Paul Huo & Donna Randall, 1991. "Exploring subcultural differences in hofstede's value survey: The case of the Chinese," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 159-173, October.
- Ji Li & Kevin Lam & Gongming Qian, 2001. "Does Culture Affect Behavior and Performance of Firms? The Case of Joint Ventures in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(1), pages 115-131, March.
- David A Ralston & David J Gustafson & Fanny M Cheung & Robert H Terpstra, 1993. "Differences in Managerial Values: A Study of U.S., Hong Kong and PRC Managers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(2), pages 249-275, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:48:y:2013:i:1:p:13-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.