Positive global leadership
In the wake of increasing globalization, today's organizational leaders are faced with unprecedented complexity. To help meeting the challenge, this article proposes a new positive approach to global leadership. After first providing the background on positivity, positive global leadership is carefully defined and its similarities and differences with both the established and contemporary leadership theories are noted. The discussion then turns to how positive global leadership addresses three major challenges in the global context of distance, cultural differences and cross-cultural barriers. The article concludes that this new positive approach can help global leaders to leverage diverse strengths in themselves and their environment to more effectively meet the escalating challenges they face now and in the future.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Judge, William Q. & McNatt, D. Brian & Xu, Weichu, 2011. "The antecedents and effects of national corruption: A meta-analysis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Shamas-ur-Rehman Toor & George Ofori, 2009. "Ethical Leadership: Examining the Relationships with Full Range Leadership Model, Employee Outcomes, and Organizational Culture," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 533-547, December.
- Harzing, Anne-Wil & Köster, Kathrin & Magner, Ulrike, 2011. "Babel in business: The language barrier and its solutions in the HQ-subsidiary relationship," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 279-287, July.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Zander, Lena & Mockaitis, Audra I. & Harzing, Anne-Wil, 2011. "Standardization and contextualization: A study of language and leadership across 17 countries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 296-304, July.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1999. "Introduction," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 28(3), pages 249-254, November.
- Kandogan, Yener, 2011. "Determinants of individuals' preference for cross-cultural literacy: Role of international trade potential," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 328-336, July.
- Ali Al-Sadig, 2009. "The Effects of Corruption on FDI Inflows," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 29(2), pages 267-294, Winter.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521872751 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fahri Karakas, 2010. "Exploring Value Compasses of Leaders in Organizations: Introducing Nine Spiritual Anchors," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 73-92, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:47:y:2012:i:4:p:539-547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.